4wd not engaging

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I tried to engage the 4wd the other day, but no dice. I could hear a clicking when I turned the switch, but the indicator light never came on and a tight turn confirmed that I was still in 2wd. From what I've seen in some of the previous messages on the board, I don't think it's the module but more likely the engagement motor.

How much can I expect to shell out for such a job? Is there anything else I can do to confirm this diagnosis?

I have a 2003 Trac.

Try cycling it into 4Low. I had a sticky/frozen motor after a wet period that suddenly froze. I had to cycle it about 10 times into low to get it working. I tried it out today, about a month after the problem, and 4 high works good.

I used the 4wd low trick for a couple of years and it worked fine. I had the same issue: I heard clicking from the passenger firewall area but no engagement. Finally it stopped working completely 2 weeks ago. The replacement motor was super easy, 3 bolts & a wire connector. $75 with a $25 core charge for the old motor. It only took about 30 minutes including jacking up my Trac. Now I wish I would have just replaced the motor a long time ago instead of messing with it when it was critical here in Colorado.