4 Monroe Sesatrac shocks installed for under $200 at Sears - is that a fair deal?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brian b 2

Reaction score
Hi all,

Decided to change out the bouncy ride and got a price of $190+ for 4 Sensatrac with installation. Is that a fair deal?

The serivce manager at Sears suggested I should get a wheel alignment because I'm changing out shocks - any truth to this?

Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions,

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, Installed, I'd say fair. I've seen better but I've seen a lot worse. I think you'll find it worth it! I changed to the "Reflex" a few months back and wow what a difference.

Shocks do not change the angle of the wheels. If they were struts, that would be different because most struts are the McPhearson style and they are part of the actual suspension. The shocks on the Trac dampen the springs and the vehicle can drive without them.

Getting an alignment is not a bad idea, but it is not necessary. Sounds more like he is trying to bring a little more cash in.

Tom

thanks for the pointer - didn't think I needed an alignment...just wanted to double check

I'm sitting here at Sears automotive center waiting for the shocks to be installed. Can't wait to feel the difference in ride!

You will be pleasantly surprised....

Todd Z

I would say you got an average fair price...enyoy the way it rides..you will think its a new truck...:D

Brian...looking at the same thing, did you get the free intallation deal? and how much for the shocks? Thanks

That's what I paid, I'm okay with it. Do a Search or a little digging and you can read about my Pro Comp adventure.

OneTracMind - Yes, I got the free installation deal. The price was $194.81.

I do feel a slight difference in ride; however, I didn't drive long enough to put it to the paces.

The real test will come tomorrow on my way to work. There is this one steep turn where the road is so lopsided that when ever I approach it with speed, I feel as though I'm driving a pogo stick. Stay tune....more feed back to come tomorrow.

The plus side of Sears is that if a shock goes bad they'll install it for free when replaced since they installed the original. That was true in the past and I believe it still applies.

Thanks for the heads up Brian. I've been waiting for a free installation deal by Sears, so I called them this morning. They weren't running the "deal" here, but the manager told me that anytime that a Monroe shock is NOT on sale, they will honor free installation. Regardless, I got new Sensatracs installed this morning. So far, the difference is slightly noticeable, but not the epiphany that most of praised. I went over 'speed bump row' here in Orlando (Percival Road) and there was a LOT less bounce for sure...but I didn't notice a different on the roads. For me, the EE Swaybar is the best improvement so far, followed by the shocks and tires (tied).

I installed four Monroe Reflex over the weekend on my Trac. The front ones were a snap (15-20 minutes per), but the back driver's side shock was a bear. To get at the rear bolt of that one I had to unbolt other pieces and reach half my arm over above it. Took something like 2 hours to get both the back ones on. The ride is much stiffer than the old ones.

I paid about $39 per shock, so I couldn't pass them up.

I'm amazed.........people expecting to notice a difference in shocks while driving on smooth road. You notice the difference when when you hit bumps and go over bad rail crossings. You notice the nose doesn't dive down when you stop quickly. You'll notice that the Tarc is less affected by cross winds on the interstate. Now the EE swaybar does help the back end but can do nothing at all for the front nor can it have any effect on spring oscillation when the whole year end is bouncing up and down.

Thanks for the tip on the price - I had them done at Firestone and now am going to hit them with the price guarantee and get them for the Sears price.

Jenn D - I totally agree with your statement.

Yes, the improvement is slightly noticeable, but it short of the best thing since sliced bread.

The car doesn't bounce as much with the Sensatrac, and the nose certainly doesn't dive as much as it used to. All in all, I'm happy with the new setup.

Bill - the way shocks are discussed on this site leads anyone to believe that with new shocks, God himself will come down and shake your hand. Don't get me wrong, it's nice, but not life changing. Now, the swaybar...that's a different story. :lol:

Latest posts