4.6L ignition upgrade

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vic Sorlie

Reaction score
Ran into an O'Reilly parts guy today who was touting MSD coils as a great performance upgrade. Any recommendations by y'all?

I've said it before and I will say it again..I personally do not believe that there is any benefit to dropping alot of coin on aftermarket coils, the coils only do what the pcm is telling them to do so unless you have someway of changing the spark curve in the pcm then swapping out coils is useless.

Zero benifit on a COP system. To take advantage of more spark you would need to increase your plug gap. OEM COPs are good for well over 500rwhp

Last edited by a moderator:
Had a set of Grannetelli pro street coils. Within a year, one by one they started to fail. Eventually put stock ones back in. Didn't feel/see any noticeable difference. Maybe a smoother idle, but that was about it. Bob

IMO, when todays ignitions are not enough. You supercharge a high compression race motor.

On a fluke I paid a member here too much $$ for his used SD coil. Didnt' make any difference. And it failed 6months later. No warranty, 2cnd owner. As a rule I pay less than 1/2 $$ for working used electronics. I screwed myself.

The ONLY, and I say ONLY difference I noticed with my PD coils is there is a smoother throttle response, ZERO HP and ZERO MPG.....

Todd Z

Todd,

I wasnt' calling down on the coils you sell. I would have been better off, to spend the extra $20. To buy a new one from you with a warranty. Couldnt talk him down. Your right about smoother idle and throttle response. That I could tell..Even with the oem wires.

No bad intentions here...:haveabeer:

Eddie, i wasnt talking to any one.. Just making a statement about them.

Todd Z

Think it would make a difference running 105 Octane and 11psi? my tuner never said we ran out of spark, we did the Supercar pumo and bigger lines because we ran out of fuel -

Latest posts