4.6 manifold / header question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Speed Freak

Reaction score
Does anyone know if exhaust manifolds from a 2005 explorer 4.6 will fit a 07 sport trac?

I see JBA makes a nice set of headers for a 05. My manifolds are leaking on start up and I just hate to put the factory ones back on.

Last edited by a moderator:
ITs broken studs that are the issue..... Headers DONT work...

Todd Z

My bolts are all fine. I spent a hour with a damn mirror and a flash light. But if I did find some headers that fit I would replace them with some grade 8 bolts.

Headers on the 4.6 have to be cut, chopped and welded back together for the steering shaft -

On my Blown Version - it only added 3 Horsepower (not worth the $1000) in parts, labor, engineering, in my opinion - and thats grabbing power from 9psi and 105 octane

Better off gaining 15 real HP from a High Flow Cat for $99 each than what I did with a dyno guy on call...

OK, here's the deal. The drivers side is the big problem. I have tried several types of headers and so far, nothing fits. The strut tower is just in the way. And its 1/4" steel, so forget about bending it! As Todd says, the studs/bolts are the major concern, they break. Now supposedly Ford has upgraded the bolts? I have been battling exhaust leaks for 6 months now, so I know whats going on.

Now, the headers you describe are for a 2-valve motor, ours is a 3-valve motor. Big difference! There is only ONE possibility left. Ford Racing makes a "shorty" header for the Mustang 4.6L. It might have a chance of fitting, but I've bought so many different headers that I thought would fit, that I'm out of money. So I can't say if they will. Plus, you really don't gain all that much with headers on a stock motor(5 to 20hp). Long tube headers are the best for making power. And there ain't nothin' that fits! So my advice is, if you have the money, check out fordracingparts.com and look at those shorty headers. Buy 'em and try 'em, then let us all know if they work. I know of at least 3 people who are dying to know! But DO NOT damage them in any way(even scratches) or you won't be able to take them back. Listen to someone who has tried. Doing a true dual exhaust with the stock manifolds has been the way to go so far. Good luck and stay in touch, Bob

Bob,

Not sure if you know it,but. My freind that was wanting those 'stang headers.

Well I saw him tonight. He wont need anything now. He was crowded into a barrier wall, on the freeway. It is a total.:sad:

Thanks for all the input guys!

Well yesterday after work I decided to install new grade 8 bolts and on the first stud I touched, it broke off just by putting the socket on..:cry: about a 1/4" deep in the head I would say. Driver side, top front. Right next to the strut tower. Looks like a bitch even with a small 90 deg drill. Not sure what I'm going to do at this point.

Latest posts