4.0l Timing Chain Rattle

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Kraker

Reaction score
I am just trying to figure out what the timing chain rattle sounds like on the 4.0l. I have been trying to listen to the engine in second gear while accellerating and I think I hear a very faint white noise type sound. It is not clanking or anything, it sounds more like a baby rattle or white noise from a TV.

I have to have the blower an the radio off to hear anything. Am I just being paranoyed?

This may not be your problem but worth mentioning. I have a 2002 2wd. I remember when it was new I immediately noticed a whine when accelerating. I called it a quite jet engine sound. Upon researching it I found it was a common problem with my model and Ford had a fix for it. They said the whine was not a mechanical problem just a nuisance. It didn't take long till I adopted to the sound and stopped noticing it. In other words I would rather have the slight noise than have them get in there and actually mess something up. Its now 112,000 miles later still no problems.

Aloha Andrew,

The light rattle that you hear is probably ping. I have noticed it on mine going up hill sometimes. The timing chain rattle is like a clatter only on start up. It should last only for a second before the oil pressure is up enough to run the tentioner. As I understand, the guide is banging around in there not the chain. The dealer says that they have never herd of one letting go.

Ed

Chain is only at idle...... and mainly in park, or gear sitting still..

Todd Z

Well all I can say is that you'll know when your timing chain guide breaks, it's a different truck altogether. Of course the dealer will never admit that these cars were built with defective timing chain components, that would be honest. Good luck.