4,0L Engine

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karen Veenker

Reaction score
Whatever you do, watch for the 4.0L SOHC engine. I just had to have my 2007 Sport Trac engne rebuilt after 70,500 miles. When I asked what went wrong, I was told the Explorer, Sport Trac and the Mustang all have the same issue.....bad design. The engine light comes on, timing chain goes and starts to throw the front rod. Cost me $4400 to have the engine replaced,and still having problems. Although I love the truck, not worth the money I've had to sink into it!!! BEWARE!!! I hate to think I got a lemon as my last 4 vehicles were Fords.....

That sounds like a post from Yahoo! Answers. Out of curiosity, how often was your engine oil changed? Bought used?

Last edited by a moderator:
Every 3,000 miles; treat it like a baby, had everything done that was needed (have all the maintenance receipts). At 69,000 had to have the serpintine belt and harmonic balancer replaced. Hate to think I got a lemon

Most of the engine issues seemed to have been resolved by 2004. The Gen 2 V6 SOHC seems to be very reliable. Hopefully the major issues are behind you. GL

Last edited by a moderator:
You must of got one of those built on a Friday ST's. Sorry for your luck...

I'm at 120k on my 2010 4.0L and it's still running strong (knock on wood!) Mobile 1 oil every 7k miles and all maintenance is done by myself. I don't trust anyone to work on anything I own these days.

you need to find a different dealer/ mechanic. I have 230,000+ on my 02, engine runs fine. synthetic every 15k miles.. could be the friday thing, tho..

"The engine light comes on, timing chain goes and starts to throw the front rod"- I'd like to see this progression explained...

If the timming chain jumped and droped a valve @ 70k.

IMO, this used vehicle wasnt serviced properly. Also had the crap ran out of it.

Im also like STanner. Show me the destroyed motor. I question that it was.

Cost me $4400 to have the engine replaced,and still having problems.

HUH,Did they realy replace the motor? Warranteeee......

92k on mine, no engine problems so far although the tranny is shifting like slop and takes its sweet old time going into reverse.

Latest posts