4.0 Timing chain issues

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After reading a lot of the posts about the 4.0 timing chain guide's and related parts I've become paranoid and even though my 2005 with almost 90,000 miles is showing no sign of this problem. I talked with the Ford Tech at our local dealership and he said that by 2005 Ford had corrected the problem and as long as I kept up with oil changes I shouldn't worry about it. Does ANYBODY buy this or is he full of SH%#?

My 2001 has just under 250,000 miles with no noise (yet) with regular (5,000 mile) oil and filter changes.

I'm not aware of any "preventive" action, so I'd wait until I have a problem.

Is the engine in your 2001 a 4.0 SOHC? I should have clarified my post and said 4.0 SOHC. I guess there is two different 4.0's available on ST's, at least that's what I've been told.

ONLY in 2001 and Early 2001, after that the 4.0 is all the same.

Todd Z

Yes - a 4.0 SOHC.

Todd - do you know whether there are versions of the 4.0 SOHC that are more prone to timing chain problems or is it random? I have had no timing chain or hydraulic tensioner noises. Maybe it's not the engine version, but the parts versions.

Feeling lucky.

I agree with Todd. The timing chain problem is with the Gen1 Job1 & 2 which are the '01 and maybe some early '02s. I had mine done a couple of years ago, and wasn't done correctly. I used my tax refund to have it done again, and cost just over $3700 parts (which included $1500 for a '09 long block) and labor. I'll have it back on the road next week after I get it smog tested and registered. :haveabeer:

I agree with Todd. The timing chain problem is with the Gen1 Job1 & 2 which are the '01 and maybe some early '02s. I had mine done a couple of years ago, and wasn't done correctly. I used my tax refund to have it done again, and cost just over $3700 parts (which included $1500 for a '09 long block) and labor. I'll have it back on the road next week after I get it smog tested and registered. :haveabeer:

Latest posts