2nd gen vent visors?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd D

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals, what are you using for vent visors on your 2nd gen. I had inchannel ones on my 01 ST and would like to go that way again, but wanted some opinons first.

Thanks, Todd

I bought some AVS from a former site sponsor and I believe they were ordered for a Gen 2 Sport Trac. They're in channel and they're great. Photos may be in my library. I like em!

'07 ST

I got the same ones, in-channel from AVS. Bugflector II from AVS also, although I regard bug deflectors as being more useful for keeping stone chips off the hood.

Last edited by a moderator:
2 cautions with "in-channel" visors: 1) on my '01 ST the rear passenger window sometimes in summer would not open due to the swelling from the visors; 2) on my '10 ST I tried the Ford in tracks and the rear driver's side window got caught on the lip when trying to close. Maybe you will have better luck with the AVS models.

WeatherTech has in channels dark or light tint for Gen 2 tracs. (72280/82280)

I went outside...... MUCH better.

Todd Z

[Broken External Image]:

I have the AVS in channel, they do good, sometimes when I auto my drivers side window up, it will come back half way down though. I personnaly do not like the outside ones, have had trouble with them coming off, even when installed by professionals. My wife has a set of the outside ones on her Focus, and the dealer has had to reattach them twice and one of them is loose again.

I have the WeatherTech on my 10 STA and had them on my 08 ST with no issues. I had the exterior mount type on both my first gen and had minot problems with them coming loose, but I balmed it on extreme weather. Rod

The secret to the in-channel kind, IMHO, is to follow the directions carefully. The felt-like strip inside the window channel actually has to get "crushed" by the in-channel visor, and it only gets crushed once the visor is installed and the window rolled up.

Some will attempt to install the visor, then repeatedly test that the window goes up and down. Invariably, what will happen is that one of the visors will bind, even if only a little. When binding, it will either break, get repositioned, or simply stress the adhesion of the tape.

The key, again, IMHO, is to seat the visor in the channel, roll up the window, and leave it up for the instructed 24 hours. The window pushing hard against the visor and the felt-like strip causes the strip to crush, and over that 24 hour period it tends to keep that crushed shape (memory). By not waiting the 24 hour period, the adhesive isn't as strong AND the felt strip isn't (more) permanantely crushed.

So is my theory.

Oh, that, and sometimes the leading edge of the in-channel visor, the edge that is hit first by the rising window, has to be beveled with a dremmel tool or similar. Sometimes that helps too.

TJR

the egr ones i have

[Broken External Image]:

the trick for the in channel ones is after you pull the sticker so you can use the adhesive is to l put the window up and down a few times then leave it up for 24 hours for the glue to set i have not had an issue yet with these coming out and they been on for about 2 years now

Latest posts