2nd GEN OEM Shifter Swap

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pointers:

1. When trying to remove the tiny/thin cable, suggest you tape a thin wire on the end from the top and pull it out from the bottom so you can then snake the wire back later once you switch connectors.

2. Highly suggest you not drill as you will risk hitting the center plastic plunger pole, you risk also getting metal filings inside the very tight tube. If those filing interfere with the punter, then you won't be able to get the car out of park. So, if you must drill, then be very careful and slow, then use a high power air compressor to blow out that tube afterward.

3. Use duck tape to tape the handle to the pole....mine is tight this way and that way the screw holes and risky drilling are not necessary. Your call.

I love the look but what a PITA. Drilling holes was horrible. Dropped a screw into console and spent 1/2 hour looking before I found it. Screws were too long and I had to file them down shorter so that they would not bind with the black plastic shaft.

Yes...agree.....and after driving a bit with it, my hand rests wonderfully on top of it. Love the look of both OEM and this one but this new change was great and we all owe ZCSPEC a great deal of thanks for his suggestion, pictures and help along the way. Way to go!!! We owe you ZCSPEC.

A quick question on this mod. I've noticed in other pictures that the steel rod underneath the knob is pretty long. I'm wondering how that doesn't need cut down to allow for the shorter Flex handle?