2nd GEN OEM Shifter Swap

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter V

Reaction score
I learned about this modification/upgrade over @ explorerforum.com

I attempted and completed this aesthetically pleasing mode today.

During the process, I proved to be one of the unlucky owners as the retaining allen bolt holding the OEM shifter in place, striped itself from the OEM housing. Thus, I could not unscrew the bolt out. What should have been a 30-45min job ended up taking me twice as long because I ended up drilling out the retaining bolt. What a PITA.

All said and done, the upgrade is well worth the effort.

BEFORE:

[Broken External Image]:

AFTER:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

COMPARISON:

[Broken External Image]:

Total Cost $15

Thanks for the feedback...here is the original post:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=405190

As far as parts go, you'll need: part #8G1Z-7213-A (The cheapest I found was $13+shipping)

You'll also need a M8 drill bit to drill into the OEM shifter stalk. I also used 2 butt connectors to connect the new shifter to the OEM O/D line.

Post if you need help. It's fairly easy as long as the OEM allen bolt screws out.

I don't believe the wiring is set as a positive/negative scheme. The O/D button is just an on/off toggle switch built into the shifter. Therefore, all you're doing is "cutting" signal on/off so it should not matter which side goes to where (closed circuit loop). I'm about 99% certain.

I discovered I have the same stripped retaining screw as well. What ridiculousness! I guess I'll have to drill it out but that means I can't go back! OH BOY! Fun fun....

If you have any pointers around drilling that out please advise!

heywardjr, you wont want to go back...LOL

I would recommend that you get a few bits designed for metal. Wood bits will be eaten up in no time at all. I believe I used 3 metal bits. Just drill straight through a little at a time and periodically check to see if the OEM lever loosened. Eventually the retaining screw will dislodge allowing you to pull up on the OEM level. Good luck, have a beer in-between bits. LOL.

I got the retaining screw out with the drill. Easy. The drill bit grabbed it and voila! Now....getting those wires is a real problem. It's very hard to get to that connector and I've taken the console apart. I'm worried if I disconnect it I won't be able to get that darn thing back thru the same way. What about cutting the wires and leaving the connector alone. Then I can splice them with the new wires?

I've disconnected the wire and got the first hole drilled but now cannot get that wire back thru the same channel. Any suggestions? I'm stuck now!

Read your post a bit too much heywardjr. I would have recommended for you to simply splice the wire at the OEM shifter. Then just connect the new one. If you're having difficulty getting the wiring through the channel, might I suggest trying to find a rigid wire. Bend it into the shape of the channel and see if you can run it through. If so, try again and this time, connect the wires.

@zcspec - THANK YOU for all the coaching. This was quite a daunting project. Looks great but not sure I would do it again! On my Adrenalin there is this large air handling black tube that goes from the dash along the area where we are working and then heads under the console. That seemed to be really hard to get around to be able to snake the wire. I was able to compress it enough to get forceps into the area and pull the cable through. Yee Haw! Then I put it all together and discovered that the screws actually impede the center pole that controls shifting so I could not get the car out of park. I had to remove the screws as even if I left them loose they interfere. So far it's tight fit with everything put together. Not sure how to secure it more other than duck tape as the screws are not working for me. Looks great otherwise.

The mod looks good, but just a vote here for the OEM shifter. I like it. It's the perfect height with the console lid to rest my hand on the shifter, which I find myself doing a lot. Old stick shift habit I guess. Seems like a reach down to get to that Flex shifter with the console lid being so high. I agree it looks good, but what is your assessment of the feel and operation?

I like it but understand. My hand actually rests on top now rather than grabbing it like a stick shift. It does free up the heating controls area better so you don't have to work around the stick shift. I'll use it for awhile and decide. Now that I know all the intricacies of the install I can easily go back to OEM. So far others I have shown it to like the change. Not drastic but a nice change. I'm always changing things on my Adrenalin....like an over-abundance of LED lights inside and out, HID headlights and fogs, LED driving lights, LED light bar in back....etc...always something new....keeps me from getting that new truck feeling.

heywardjr and others, sorry I didn't provide more photos of the install for you and everyone else to review. To tell you the truth, I was not a happy camper when learning that the OEM retaining screw striped, then spending a good 30mins drilling through the screw. LOL... Being as anal as I am, I was highly disturbed that the metal shavings were getting down into the shifting gate so I fabricated a snout to vacuum all the shavings up. End result, I'm very happy with the shifter. The look is defeinitely more premium over the OEM shifter. With it being substantially shorter, I dont feel like I am grabbing onto a "pole." Also very glad to see others taking well onto this modification.

Stay tuned...I am having my headlights retrofitted with projector beams. ETA, next few days :)

Zcspec - no worries. I had the same issue with the shavings. I ended up spraying some WD40 equivalent and kept working that plastic pole. It finally started working fine. I cannot use the screws so I am going to just add some duck tape around the base to keep it tight. Right now it works fine without the screws. I love the look and feel. I always thought the OEM was too large anyway because it got in the way. Thanks for all your help and for the support. You got me thru the hump and kept me confident to proceed. Bless this web site. It is awesome.