265/75-16 or 285/75-16 ?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Hiatt

Reaction score
Well, it's about time to get some new tires, and I have pretty much decided on the General Grabber AT2's, for the price, but can't decide on witch size I want to go with.

I had planned on doing the TT/shackle lift any way, so that won't be any issue. What would the downside be in going with the larger tires?

there are a couple things that make the larger tire not a good decision. one is you will definately get lower fuel economy and the other is a higher risk of hydroplaning. the ride will be smoother though. also if you're not four wheel drive the only thing the larger tire gives you is the smoother ride (and maybe a better look). :haveabeer:

When I tried to get 285 bfg a/t's, discount tires would not mount them on the 16 inch ford rims because the rims are too narrow. you may have better luck with the grabbers or a different tire shop. I would have liked the 285's but I still like my 265s.

With the 285's you'll have tire rub issues on the front when turning at full flex. I did the TT, SL and ran the 265's both at stock height and lifted. I added the 3" body lift and then put on the 285's, you have to do some cutting/ trimming of the plastic cladding on the front. Look in my library and you'll see the progression of my truck from stock to lifted. I'm not finished yet, I plan on doing a SAS like Chad's done to his ST. Honestly if you're only doing the TT, SL I'd stick with the 265's, more suspenion travel, better mileage. The ride is actually be better with the 265's, in my opinion. Post some pics's when you get your truck done so we can see.:supercool::banana:

I've been going back and forth on this exact question for a while now. I keep coming back to the 265s as the more logical choice. With a TT and SL, my only concern is how well 265s will fill out the wheel wells. I assume it will look just fine, but I can't seem to find side profile pictures of a ST with TT and SL with 265s. Chase, do you have any pictures that better show how the tires fill out the wheel well?

Last edited by a moderator:
David and OffTrac, in my member library, I have a few photos of my ST with 265's on 16 inch wheels (all the photos with the black sidewall BFG's). I also had the TT/Shackle Lift.

Just to give you an idea.

Here's one photo:

[Broken External Image]:

I should add that I actually had to do some slight trimming of the wheel well liner with the 265's, and while I originally wanted 285's, the guy at Discount Tire suggested the 265's for practicality and avoiding major rubbing issues. With only a TT/SL I would do the same again. With a larger lift, I definitely would have gone bigger.

[Broken External Image]:

This is a pic of 285/75/16's with a TT/SL. There was some rubbing and some trimming but I liked the look and the stance. I now have a body lift and it is much better. The TT made a harder ride.

Thanks. That's exactly the look I'm going for and figure the 265 will meet my offroad needs better. I can get a body lift for a great price, but the guy keeps getting shy when I try to arrange to meet him. I've thought about doing a body lift and 285s but I think your set up is exactly what I'm looking for. Looks good.

And then you post something to make me reconsider 285s just when I thought I had it all figured out. I just don't think I want to do a body lift, though, so I'm going to try to convince myself to stick with that. I know I wouldn't do 285s without the bl.

If the body lift wasn't going for $100, it'd be a lot easier. If anyone wants to buy the bl, I can give you the guys craigslist listing. Not sure if he'll want to ship, but he's west of Atlanta for anyone close by. Someone please buy it so I'll stop considering it.

David, it sounds like you're going to get to this before I do. I'd love to see some pictures when you get them on there.

Thanks Chad, that's all it took to get me to email the guy back to figure out what his deal is. I'm not doing any of the work until the stock tires need changed, but it can't hurt to go ahead and buy it, right? I have some time to figure everything out. I have a feeling this website is going to be bad for my checking account. Bad thing is, every dollar I put into the ST is one dollar less that goes into my first love, my '69 Cougar XR7.

Clusterpup, replied.

Sorry about the size, but here is 265 with stock suspension. I've been meaning to get the TT/SL done, but since the tires fit with not a single problem, I figured why bother for now?

[Broken External Image]:

Thanks everybody for the advice! You all convinced me that my orginal plan of going with the 265's and a TT/SL is the way to go.

I will post some pics of the finished product, and hopefully it will be sooner rather than later!

Latest posts