23.5 MPG with my '07 V8 4X4 ST

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OLE442

4 wheel drive
2nd Gen owner
V8 Engine
Reaction score
Some where way to close to the effen city
What engine do you have?
V8 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
Got a best of 23.5 MPG on the Dundee, MI to Kettering, OH leg of the trip!! Drove 60-70+ MPH all the way until I got in road work in the last 10 miles.

[Broken External Image]:

How does that compare to other V8 ST's? Just curious...... I'd like to hit the 24 MPG mark some day. I hit high 21's the high 22's regularly on the highway. All I can say is Todd Z knows some good things about ST's!

We did a whirlwind trip (left Sat eve - back Sunday eve) and delivered the bed extender to Jon W9 and we talked for a few, then we went to the OCA Olds show just south of Lansing(couple hours), went to Rosie's Diner in Rockford, MI and had lunch,

[Broken External Image]:

then we found my wife's relative's old houses and last, on to Cabela's for a hour or so and then back to Dayton by 8:45 PM.

Thanks Jon W6!! Nice to meet you. You have a nice ST there!

Gary G:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Gary,

I get about 23 avg when I get out on the freeway based on a 50-100 mile trip wihile driving aprox 65-70 mph. Around town, I get about 15 mpg avg.

Yes, I also get in the 15's around town too....except in cold weather then it's 13 - 14 MPG.

Gary G

I got 15 coming back from Louisville

Andy.......geez, you know it's better to drive without your foot on the brake and gas pedal at the same time?? :D

What were you towing??

The only thing I was hauling was ass. :)

Okay, I had a couple hundred pounds of crap in the bed, but I get that bad of mileage normally. It's a trade-off for zoooooooooooooom.

Until we hit a major traffic jam, I was getting around 20 on my 08 V8 XLT on a trip to the OBX. That was with four people in the car, the back stuffed, and a filled soft car top carrier on top of the tonneau cover, and going 70-80 mph. Typical I-95, speed up, slow down, etc. Pretty much loaded down!

I'm yet to really load mine down, haven't towed anything yet....

So, Andy, yeah, I can see where your "mpg's" dropped quite a bit. I used to zooooom :) but can no longer with the fuel costs.

When I had my '65 chevy, I got maybe 9 mpg. I pulled off the air cleaner one time with the car just idling.....friggin looked like you were standing there with a garden hose pouring gas into the carb. On throttle up, I swear you could see the fuel guage drop.

PRM.....that's pretty damn good with all you had loaded down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Driving habbit's really play a big part on what you'll get with these ST's. Keeping your foot off the gas is the main thing.

I often find people on my ass when taking off from a stop :) I also try to keep the rpm's below 3000 as well.

I have an 07 V8 ST. Get approx 24 hwy and 16 city on a cdn gallon, with a light treading style of driving. Try to keep rpm's under 2500.

I went to PA a couple weeks ago to the NSRA street rod show in York and the All-Ford Nats in Carlise. I typically average right around 19 mpg on my trips across I-80 into western PA with the cruise set on 75. However, due to the high 90 deg daytime temps I ran the AC during most of this trip. My mpg over the same terrain dropped to an average of 16.2. :(

Note: I-80 in the western half of PA is all hills.