2011 Explorer

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since an overwhelming majority of SUVs sold in the past never towed and never went offroad this should do just fine. I further I suspect with the better fuel economy and the more "crossover-like" styling this will sell well.

A semi-bold move by Ford!

TJR

Since an overwhelming majority of SUVs sold in the past never towed and never went offroad this should do just fine

I hate that fact... I mean look at the Expedition even. Became "Soccer-Mom'd". The old ones were high and beefy. The new ones sit way too low. Even the Gen2 Trac's could have been made better by raising them an inch or two. Not that I would ever take an Explorer by itself offroad, but I hope Ford doesn't shift so that those that tow and offroad are forced into full size trucks.

BUT, ford already makes a vehicle like this........

it's called a FORD EDGE! Looks dman near the same!

Meh, not a fan at all!

i wonder how hard it would be to upgrade the turbo to a larger turbo... and get tunes from torrie lol

hmm.... any word on an explorer sport?

Moray Callum, Executive Director of Ford Americas Design, answered my straight up question on Facebook: "Are you going to have a Sport Trac model?"

He said, "Thanks for you enthusiasim. One thing I can tell you is that we haven't released a design from the studio... Thanks, Moray"

Whatever that means.

Well, when my wife and I are done paying off the Camry Hybrid, we will be getting a new explorer. And if it really looks like that, or at least is close, especially the interior, the wife will be all go for it!

Might even go for it sooner if it really does end up looking like that.

The unibody frame would fold and collapse under towing.......

I like the front and interior, HATE the back.....

Todd Z

Can anyone with photoshop post a few pics with modifications? 1) lowered/bagged; and 2) 4" lift kit with monster mudders all the way around, maybe a huge winch on the front?

I have heard rumors there will be no more Tracs, anyone know with this new redesigned explorer if they will still keep the Trac?

There will be no more Sport Trac. Only 14,000 Sport Trac's will be built this year. The demand for the ST has died.

There COULD be on in the future, but as of right now, there is nothing planned for the future. The market is not there.

IMO, the ST going to the new design was the nail in the coffin. It just isn't truck enough.

Tom

Ford will do well with this design. Similiar to the design of imported SUVs and should be less expensive. People will have to give a look-see if you can get the Explorer for $35, 000, instead of the RX350 Lexus which is $50,000. LIke others have said, not my favorite look, but the look has been selling for several years successfully and the old Explorer was just that, old.

Does look a lot like the Edge, but it does has it's own distinction in the front end and in the interior, love the interior. It is somewhat different in the wrap around back windows. Would like to see an ST off of this design, but if something happens to my Trac or I decide to trade, it will difinitely have a bed with a Blue Oval in the grill.

I liked the look of this Explorer when it first showed and then I saw a reference to the third row of seating being standard in all models. Nope, can't do that. Can't even fold them down and deal with it.

Has anybody heard about the Ranger Double Cab coming from Europe?

The article linked below states "Ford will make this a World-version, meaning this generation will also replace the US version."

Looks kind of interesting, if you can see through the Cloaking material.

As of right now, the bottom line on a Gen 3 Trac and/or European Ranger DoubleCab coming to the U.S. is this:

Neither is going to happen.:cry: Given the fact that the F150 has been the best selling truck in the U.S. for over three decades, and also that it's pretty much FoMoCo's bread and butter, they're not really putting any thought, effort, money, or resources into a new product for the mid-size/small truck market in the U.S. that might cut into F150 sales. I'm sure that folks who attended Louisville 2010 can pretty much confirm this.

It's too bad, because the Sport Trac is just about the perfect truck for most suburban folks, myself included. It tows/hauls just about anything that I need, and I can still transport my family comfortably. Also, it fits quite nicely in my garage. I love the F150 (especially the King Ranch edition), but it's just too damn big for my garage. :banghead:

Latest posts