2011 Explorer II

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Velo Sprout

Reaction score
The 1970's oil crisis brought us Vega's, Pintos, Gremlins, Ford Couriers, and Chevy LUV's, along with the national 55 mph speed limit (just after I got my driver's license). We were told we would have no oil at all before 2000, internal combustion engines must be replaced, urban areas would be deserted because of smog, and one dollar a gallon gas was going to cripple our economy. As you know, we didn't run out of oil, and Vega's Pintos, and Gremlins are no more, while we have thrived buying vehicles we want to drive. And, driving them faster than 55 mph.

This second crisis is bringing us a unibody 2011 Explorer? It should be called the Explorer Pinto Edition. Or, perhaps the Explorer II. (remember the Mustang II, Bronco II, and LTD II?) It seems like a lot of automotive engineers aren't getting outside much, and have short memories. Bass boats, car trailers, and campers still will still need to be towed. Rural snow-drifted fields and roads still will need to be driven (and when stuck dragged out with a tractor) And, like the first oil crisis, this one too will pass.

Vega's Pintos, and Gremlins

nope, they are called Kia's, Toyota's, Honda's, Hyundai's; Chevy Aveo, Ford Focus, etc.

we didn't run out of oil

While I agree with you on the fact that we need a body on frame SUV, your post seems to promote the wasteful greed (maybe I missed the sarcasm) of the 90's/00's with everyone driving a surburban, excursion, expedition, etc; even those that do not need it. Don't get me wrong, I am all for everyone having the vehicle of their choice, but we as a people we not making choices with thoughts of our kids futures in mind. Oil is not unlimited.....

Don't be so hasty to knock the Mustang II. Just like in 1964, Lee Iacocca was right on the money with the Mustang II for the times. With the OPEC-created "oil crisis" of the '70's, the Mustang II was a huge success, even winning the coveted "Car of the Year" award from Motor Trend in 1974. Many Mustang purists don't consider them "real" Mustangs, but they fit the original Mustang's formula to a "T": Long hood/short deck, sporty looking, good fuel economy, and affordable. It was the right car for the times in the '70's, is actually one of the best-selling versions of the Mustang of all time.

I would put my mustang II up against any thing....

Surprised a Ton of people...

My Mustang II and my BII

Todd Z

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Don't get me wrong. I bought a Mustang II new in 1974, and loved it. I chose it over the Pinto and Maverick, which were both priced lower. However you won't see many original stock or restored Pintos, Mustang II's, Mavericks, or Gremlins on Barrett-Jackson.

Last edited by a moderator:
While I agree with you on the fact that we need a body on frame SUV, your post seems to promote the wasteful greed (maybe I missed the sarcasm) of the 90's/00's with everyone driving a surburban, excursion, expedition, etc; even those that do not need it. Don't get me wrong, I am all for everyone having the vehicle of their choice, but we as a people we not making choices with thoughts of our kids futures in mind. Oil is not unlimited.....

Threre is no sarcism here. If someone can afford the vehicle and the fuel, they should be at liberty to drive what ever they want without justifying "need" to anyone, especially any level of government. That is not greed, but liberty. It's usually defined as greed only by those who have designs on controlling how others should live.

A truly free market will price oil and other energy sources for the best and highest use. A truly free market will allow manufacturers to compete to sell us the vehicles we want.

The F-100 sounds like it is going to be a very light-duty truck- basically a gutted F-150. I don't think it will be a good thing.

I had a '74 Rustang II, complete with 4-cylinder automatic. I remember how the engine kind of yawned a little bit when I stepped on the gas. I called it the Rustang because guess what it did right behind all four tires after two years? :(

Threre is no sarcism here. If someone can afford the vehicle and the fuel, they should be at liberty to drive what ever they want without justifying "need" to anyone, especially any level of government. That is not greed, but liberty. It's usually defined as greed only by those who have designs on controlling how others should live.

No. It's called ignorance.

The F-100 sounds like it is going to be a very light-duty truck- basically a gutted F-150.

As of the most recent news/blog postings, the F-100 is a dead issue... not going to happen.

But in the ever-changing, fluid business that is the automotive industry, stay tuned, because it could be back on again tomorrow!:wacko:

Latest posts