200k & a Timing Chain

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Trac just rolled 200k a couple weeks ago. Talking with my dad last night about preventative maintenance, he suggested I look into changing the timing chain.

Has anyone done this before, chiefly as preventative?

What are some signs that the chain needs to be replaced? I feel like the engine runs pretty well. Most posts talk about a "rattle" associated with the timing chain. While I think I hear a light ticking at idle, I wouldn't call it a rattle. The only other abnormality I can think of is that sometimes it seems to lose partial power while driving. I'll been driving normally around 35-50mph when the truck seems to drag a bit and need more throttle. I'd kinda chalked the lag up to the plugs getting worn out, and had been planning to change plugs and wires soon. My dad strongly suggested that I look at the timing chain first though.

Any thoughts y'all? :driving:

As a general rule, I start with easy and cheap - plugs and wires are both.

The timing chain, et al, is fairly robust and I would not replace unless there is an absolute need, particularly considering that the engine has to be pulled to get access to the rear chain.

If you hear a rattling consistently upon cold start, replacing the spring-hydraulic tensioners is smart as this will reduce the probability for timing chain slap destroying the plastic guides.

Woof! Don't fancy pulling an engine - there's two timing chains as Yardsale mentions, one front, one rear. Think you'd be better off changing the tensioners. Watch some DIY videos on YouTube.

Dumping the time and $$ required to do the timing chains on one of these is useless at 200k. No need to service the timing chain unless there is a problem with it. If you develop the timing chain rattle there will be no doubt what you are hearing. As for your intermittent loss of power, I would start with a full tune up if it is due and go from there.

There are three timing chains on 2WD (two in front, one at rear) and four on 4WD (three in front, one at rear).