2003 ST won't start

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rich halama

Reaction score
My son's 2003 has 113K miles. At 100K I replaced the sparkplugs because the check engine light came on and we took it to auto zone and they read the ODB11. The ST has been running fine since then. This evening he pulled into a gas station to get a cup of coffee. When he came out and tried to start the ST, it wouldn't. The engine turns over but won't catch. Tried everything I could find on the web about it. tried leaving key "on" for 10 seconds , then tried starting-no go. Pumped the accelorator-no go. Don't smell any gas in the engine compartment, so I'm thinking fuel filter or feul pump. Check fuses-all seem good. Can anyone tell me if there is an easy way to check the fuel pump?

Thanks in advance.:wacko:

DId you check the cut off switch to the fuel pump, should be on the pass side kickpanel near the glove box on the right side:wacko: check that first

when you turn over the key have someone near the gas tank near the fuel pump have one person turn the key and the other listen for the pump to kick in, that should tell you if your pump is bad or not, another way disconnect the inlet side of the fuel filter very carfully, put a rag under to catch what come out, turn the key over if theres fuel pump isnt bad, also check the throttle body to see if there is fuel comming in when you turn over the key, if not all that make sure all the boots on the spark plugs are on, and also in the distributor

Most vehicles when you turn the switch to the position just before the starter engages you should be able to hear fuel pump for a second or two till it builds up pressure, sometimes you can srike gas tank near fuel pump with rubber hammer to jump start it when the ignition is on, that is not a fix! Might save a tow though.

Pull off a spark plug wire off the block on top of the engine, and leave close to the block, and crank it, it should show a spark.

If that is good, there is a fuel schrader valve on the passenger back of the engine, Try cranking, then push the schrader valve in, IF gas squirts out the fuel is ok...

I bet the fuel pump went...

Todd Z

I would have to agree with Todd. Check spark and fuel. If you hear the fuel pump humm, then you need to pull the fuel filter. If you crank the crap out of it, pull a plug and smell it. Does it smell like gas? if so, you have fuel to the system. You need to check the ignition system. If you have fuel and spark, then you need to look at something like timing. Cam or ignition timing.

Tom

GREAT NEWS- its running-after removing a spart plug to see if it had gotten fuel(it had not), called the local Ford dealer to see if he had a fuel pump and how much$$$(325.00), he told me to try to remove the battery cable for 5 minutes, hook it back up to reset the computer, then try it. That did it. Hopefully the pump is not intermittent, but it is running ok-Thanks for all your help.

I just had the samething happen to my truck. it would turn over but just not start. I unhooked the battery for about 5 min and BAM it started just like it was new. It seems to be acting fin now. I don't know if I should take it in and have it looked at or just let it ride and see what happens.

Jason.

Latest posts