2002 Explorer Sport Trac 4x4 Shift Control Module

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Bryant 2

Reaction score
I've been reading some other pages via the web trying to figure out why my 4x4 isn't working. When I turn the knob no lights or noise. I seen someone mention that it is probably the 4x4 shift module via google. I first tried the fuse but that did not work.

Where exactly is the 4x4 shift module located on a 2002 Sport Trac? I would like to grab the part number from it.

Thanks, John

1L5Z-7E453-AC (Motorcraft TM101)

Last edited by a moderator:
It's behind the passenger side kick panel between the bottom of the dashboard and the floor.

$138 new in this ebay listing.

This is the first out of the ordinary thing to go wrong on mine truck. If you turn the knob and don't hear the "click" from the module, and fuses and power are good, it is almost certainly that. Kick panel pulls easily out of the way. Unplug. Replug. Your back in business.

First one failed after about 4 years. Second one is going on 9 now.

Another reason among others to flex your 4X4 muscles regularly.

All the electronics could be fine. Some times the servo (electric motor) that actually moves the selector on the transfer case gets "gummed up" due to lack of use.

I live in Iowa (my ST is a 2001) due to minimal use of 4 X 4, every 90 days I put the ST on grass or sand and go to high 4X4 then back to 2 high and repeat to 4 high.

I suggest you go under the ST, locate the transfer case, spray the shift lever where it exits the case with penetrating oil or silicone spray. then try operating the 4X4 knob. Also tapping on the servo unit (on transfer case) while moving the knob from 2X to 4X might free up the unit. Unless you use this function, so it goes "use it or lose it".

My 2001 ST has 210,000 and this "routine" every 3 months has kept the Electric servo and related mechanics loose.

How many miles on the ST ??? How long have you had it ?? What color and options??

The reaction after you switch the knob is completely independent of the module. Your shift motor can be bad but you'll still hear the module open and close repeatedly attempting to engage the transfer case. My shift motor went bad this summer finally and after switching the knob the module would fire, but the engagement was never achieved, and the light never illuminated. Ears is your best friend for this issue.

Thanks all, I found it. Including link to picture. I have a 135,000 miles, have had it since 2003. I unplugged it, plugged it back it in. Still no light or noise when turning the knob. I will give the spraying the shift lever and tapping the servo a try on the transfer case. I'll keep this updated.

Thanks, John

Last edited by a moderator:
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< PROJECTS SECTION

Just replaced mine and it did the trick. Super simple to replace (literally 2 wire harnesses and 2 screws once you pop off the kick panel) and takes all of 5 minutes.

Latest posts