2002 2wd Front wheel bearings and rotor

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O W

Reaction score
I have 112,000 miles on my 2002 2wd sport trac. My rotors are slightly warped causing minor vibration in steering wheel when braking. Even though the rotors have never been turned I will probably go with new rotors. There is only a slight play in bearings when I grasp the wheel at top and bottom. I checked the outer bearing and it needed a repacking so I think it best to replace the bearings because of the mileage on them. In many of the posts here concerning the front wheels they don't specify whether they are giving instructions on the 2wd or the 4wd. From what I could see it looked like my 2wd has the bearing races built right into the rotor assembly whereas the rotor doesn't come off of the wheel hub. Do I take it that when I purchase the rotor the only additional parts I will need is the inner and outer bearings and the inner bearing seal? Also does anyone know the ft. lbs. I torque the bearings to.

Some rotors come with new races. You will only buy the bearings and rear seal.

I will get back to you on torque and proceedure. Have to check my manual.

the rotors will come with races installed. ...use just the bearings when replacing. get napa gold or raybestos rotors only others are crap..... your rotors may not be warped, but just glazed..... when i do brakes, i take a 24 grit pad on a grinder and rotate the rotor with the grinder and de-glaze them, and throw new pads on it...... the rotors on mine now have almost 100,000 miles on them.

Pack the bearings well !!!!

Todd Z

STanner,

I use this to deglaze rotors. Works great and fast. Been using it for 20+ yrs.

[Broken External Image]:

Thanks for the good info guys. I noticed when shopping for new rotors that some say " No need to be resurfaced before installation". Would it cause a problem to install any new rotors right out of the box? Also back in the day I never used a torque wrench on front wheel bearings. I just tightened them up then backed off some till I had a little play then went up a notch. Does anyone know the torque lbs. and also is some slight play (when grasping the top and bottom of tire) normal play?

O.W. ,

Sorry about not getting back to you. This is scaned from my shop manual.

Make a copy then I can delete it.

[Broken External Image]: