2002 2WD differential

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O W

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 2002 ford explorer sport trac and have read over 100 complaints involving the differential failures on the 2002 explorer. I am wondering if I have the same rear end on the sport trac. If so I am thinking I need to replace the oil with some synthetic 80 w 140 and 4 oz. of friction modifier. My manual doesn't tell me wether I have the regular differential or the traction lock. It just says if I do it requires no change for life unless submerged in water. I checked the driver door panel and couldn't find a model W traction lock code. I have heard the 2002 explorer sport trac sets on a ranger drive train where the explorer doesn't. So I guess my main question is, Do the 2002 explorer and the 2002 explorer sport trac have the same rear differential?

The Sport Trac and the Explorer, in 2002 were built on different platforms. The Explorer had the IRS, while the Sport Trac has a sold axle.

If the tag on the differential tells you to use 75W140 oil, then it is the Limited Slip. If it says 80W90, then it is the open differential.

Tom

Look at the code on the door panel...

Axle Codes

L - Limited Slip Differential

C - Conventional Differential

Code ... Ratio

41 ...... 3.27C

42 ...... 4.10C

43 ...... 3.08C

45 ...... 3.55C

46 ...... 3.73C

D1 ...... 3.27L

D2 ...... 4.10L

D4 ...... 3.73L

D5 ...... 3.55L

Didn't know about the differential tag and the different codes on the door frame tag. Going to climb under tomorrow and look for the tag and hopefully a drain plug below the filler plug. It has never leaked a drop in 105,000 miles so would hate to take the plate off. Thanks guys.

O.

The tag is on the drivers door....

there is NO drain plug on the ST diff...... have to remove the rear cover or use a pump..

Todd Z

Thanks for the help. I understand the difference in the models now. I was told the 2002 sport trac sets on a ranger frame not an explorer. Took the plate off and drained it easy.