2001, 4X4, transmission trouble, NO Reverse!!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t torkelson

Reaction score
every thing working fine...backed out the drive way one day (150yds.)...drove away no problems...got to store; shopped...came out...No Reverse!!!

Fluid is correct level, bright red, no bad noises, no "burnt odor"; still works fine in all forward choices.

Transmission Shop Wants $2K!!!

My Opinion...I think this is a reverse solenoid problem only; since there was no warning of any:banghead: problems at all.

Looking for good advice, correction, confirmation.

Ya'all helped out Perfect on the "turn signal problem!!!"

Hoping for that help again.

many thanks in advance...t.

When the lever is put in reverse, and you hit the gas what happens?? Engine revs, car tries to move, ST rolls like in neutral?? Do all the other gear positions work?? Park, (ST should not roll on a hill) Neutral (ST should roll on a hill)l, then Drive (starts in low and progresses through the gears) and low (tranny does not up shift). Does the OD light turn and off when you hit the button on the end of the lever???

It could be the linkage is out of adjustment, hope for this it is a cheap repair.

Same thing happened to me on my 2003 six months ago. Made sure parking spots were drive thru or up hill so I could roll back out. Went to 3 trans shops, reverse band was too far into teardown so all 3 reccommended rebuild for $2000 and higher. Nice to have reverse again after rebuild. :driving:

Year, Miles, Early St's blew valve body gaskets.

Todd Z

Could the electronic position sensor, have anything to do with it.?

Since yours is an '01 Todd has a good point.

Last edited by a moderator:
My guess is a blown valve body solenoid or the control wiring is damaged.

Todd Z is correct that early Sport Tracs had a problem blowing valve body gaskets, however a valve body gasket leak would have probably caused problems with other gears and would have shown other symptoms of an impending problem. Since Reverse gear failed suddenly, I would bet it's something electrical.

...Rich

My guess is a blown valve body solenoid or the control wiring is damaged.

Todd Z is correct that early Sport Tracs had a problem blowing valve body gaskets, however a valve body gasket leak would have probably caused problems with other gears and would have shown other symptoms of an impending problem. Since Reverse gear failed suddenly, I would bet it's something electrical.

...Rich

There are plenty of internet postings and videos on problems with the Ford 5R55 transmission. Linked below is a YouTube video from a Trac owner with issues similar to yours. Removing a transmission and rebuilding it is beyond my skill set. If I were in your shoes I'd find the best shop I could and have them fix it.

Latest posts