2001-2005 Bed Question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay White

Reaction score
For those of you who have worked, removed or replaced a bed on an early ST, how much play is there in the bed in regards to alignment? What I'm trying to find out is how much can you move the bed around when the four bolts that hold it in are loose. The body shop that is trying to repair my ST from a recent accident says my frame is bent because the bed is misaligned (the clearance of the bed from the left side cab is around 1"+/- closer to the cab than on the right side of the bed). They did not take the bed off to physically see if the frame is bent. They are using the cocked angle of the bed (slight angle) to justify not proceeding with repairs. I'm currently waiting to hear back from the insurance company to see if they agree or disagree with the body shop's findings.

Any response is appreciated. Thanks.

First, the alignment of the bed to the cab isn't great on a good day. There are several possibilities as to why the bed and cab may not align. The bed may not be square, or may not be on the frame square, the cab may not be on the frame square, or both may not be square.

I'd guess that mine is 3/4" different one side to the other, and 1/2" side-to-side as well (this can be seen by the overhang of the tires).

Second, any shop that is using bed to cab alignment as a test of frame condition certainly does not know the vehicle, or frames, and should not be working on it. Run ... fast and far.

< ------------------------- PROJECTS SECTION !!!!

Todd Z

Yardsale, I thought the same thing about the shop. I had to stop by to get something out of the cab and expected to see the bed off but what I found was my ST parked in the back of the lot, bed still on it, and no appearance of any repairs. It's like they say the bed out of alignment and immediately assumed the frame was bent and proceeded no further.

Todd Z, I never noticed the bed alignment in the project section. If I get the truck back I will try to realign the bed per the project.

Thanks to both of you for your comments and direction.

Latest posts