2-3 slipping question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyle h

Reaction score
a couple weeks ago the transmission started to slip from 2nd-3rd gear i think. it wouldn't do it every time and the o/d light didn't blink. so i disconnected the battery because i read that might fix it and it hasn't slipped since, but it's only been a few days. i also read there was an updated computer code i could get from the dealer so i went up there to see. the guy said i cleared all the memory and he wouldn't be able to find any codes until it slips again(if it does).

so do you guys think i'm ok if it doesn't slip anymore or is there anything else i should look into. thanks in advance.

You will likely get an O/D light in the future. Ford kept telling me that they couldn't replicate the problem. When the O/D light did come on, it was too late and the gasket had blown.

kyle, More then likely NO......

Todd Z

I feel like a dink when it comes to most questions/problems on this forum. but I DO have experience in the 2-3 flare. It was doing it for a reason, have it checked out!!!

I agree with Mike. There is a problem and it's not likely to go away on it's own, it will eventually get worse.

The 2-3 shift flare is caused by two problems. The most common problem is sticking solenoid valves in the vavlbody. These valves are controlled electronicly by solenoids and when they stick they put additional stress on the electic colenoids. As the solenoids weaken, they have more difficulty moving the shift valves. The valvebody and solenoid pack need to be replaced.

The other problem is the leaking/blown valvebody gasket. This is also a common problem that is fairly easy to fix if you are handy with tools and are not afraid of taking the valvebody out of your transmission and doing a little modification. The problem with the blown gaskets is that the machined surface of the valvebody is not prefectly flat. This is easily fixed by placing a large sheet of 600+ fine grit sand paper and place it on a sheet of glass. The glass keeps the sand paperperfectly flat and lets you gently sand the machined gasket surface of the valvebody flat. You should be able to see exactly where the sand paper is hitting the high spots, and when the entire surface looks the same, you know it's smooth and flat.

...Rich

yeah i better have it checked out. thanks for the help guys, i'll let the pros deal with it. i don't want to mess anything up.

Latest posts