2-3 Slip - Scared Newbie Needs Some Guidance

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris M 2

Reaction score
Totally new guy here, and about as handy as scrambled eggs when it comes to vehicle repair...

I just bought a clean, low-mileage 2002 ST about two months ago, and began experiencing the "2-3 slip" (at least I think that's what it is) about two weeks ago. Usually happens after the truck has sat for several hours (first thing in the morning or coming home from work). High RPMs between 2nd and 3rd with no shift until I let off the gas.

Thankfully I found this forum and have read much material on the problem. Still scared to death I'm gonna have to shell out large cash to fix the problem. What I'm asking for is this: what is the recommended sequence of steps to take in diagnosing/locating/fixing the cause? I see a lot of discussion on EPC solenoids and valve body gaskets... too bad I have no clue what those are! :blink:

So, if anyone can offer some advice, I'll take it and be mighty grateful!!! And if anyone can recommend an honest shop in the Dayton, OH area I'll be doubly grateful!!!

kindest regards,

Chris M.

There is a project write up (done by yours truely) in the projects section. It's a very easy project to do and can be done by anyone with little to no experience. Just expect to make a mess.:D Are you getting the "flashing O/D light of death"? What I would do is, get the tranny flushed, and change the filter and do the EPC adjustment. It may be just old, worn out fluid. That would be the cheaper route if it takes care of the problem. If the problem persists, then I'd seek the help of a tranny shop.;)

I am in Ohio. I know of a good shop in the Akron, but not Dayton. Sorry.

You need to have a shop look at it ASAP.

Tom

High rpms and the 2-3 flair are different things, Unless your not describing it correctly...

Have the transmission fluid and filter changed do the EPC and take it from there...

It may just need some new fluid..

Todd Z

Well, it's worse this morning. Did it the whole way to work. I'm starting to freak.

It's a little chillier here today; I wonder if that makes it worse?

It almost feels as if it's slipping down into 1st. In any case, I have to let off the gas before it'll shift into 3rd.

I just got this truck. It only has 43,000 miles on it. I can't believe this is happening. I don't have $2,000 laying around... *sigh* :(

Chris M,

When you say "just bought", do you mean that? Could this be the reason someone sold the low mileage ST?

Did you get it from a dealer, a reseller, or a third-party?

If through some legit sales org is there a warranty? 30 days, 60 days?

TJR

Previous owner, of course. No warranty, no recourse.

I've had it about two months. It just started doing this about two weeks ago.

Probably will have the regular trans. service done, with the EPC adjustment recommended by Todd Z. and others. If that doesn't work, I'll have to try and locate an honest trans. shop in this area and hope for the best.

Anyone out there with a better plan, I'm open to your suggestions (within reason!) ;)

Previous owner, of course. No warranty, no recourse.

I've had it about two months. It just started doing this about two weeks ago.

Probably will have the regular trans. service done, with the EPC adjustment recommended by Todd Z. and others. If that doesn't work, I'll have to try and locate an honest trans. shop in this area and hope for the best.

Anyone out there with a better plan, I'm open to your suggestions (within reason!) ;)

Given that it's the Explorer tranny that is well known for issues, an "honest" shop will try the EPG adjustment, then/and replace the solenoid pack if needed. Either, both of them will likely be a band-aid fix. I say that from experience.

I say do the least you can to it to get it running again, and dump it.

TJR

That's an appealing option, but I can't just slap on a band-aid and dump the problem on someone else. Just not cool.

That's an appealing option, but I can't just slap on a band-aid and dump the problem on someone else. Just not cool.

I say do the least you can to it to get it running again, and dump it.

Thats right. Screw someone else, but get pissed when it happens to you.

Get the tranny to a shop and let them fix it the right way. That way you know it will last.

Tom

p.s., Chris M, quit hitting the refresh button. That is why it is double, and triple, posting.

Caymen said:
Thats right. Screw someone else, but get pissed when it happens to you.

It's Ford that is screwing people, not people that resell the vehicles. Note that Chris M said the vehicle has low miles. I had a Ford tranny on any '04 Merc Mountaineer that had chronic problems. I am sure it was still a ticking time bomb when I got rid of the vehicle, off lease.

If companies sell crap, you buy it, realize it is crap and you polish the turd to resell it, don't blame the last guy that sells the polished turd.

Chris, I am glad that you have some noble sense of not wanting to pawn this off on someone else. But there is an old saying about not spending good money after bad.

I stand by my recc: IF you can get the problem to go away with a low cost "fix", then it would be my recommendation to get rid of the vehicle, as it is probably a sign of a protentially recurring problem that will be costly down the road.

That's one of the #1 people get rid of used cars...because they start to see having to put big money into them.

I'm going to sleep good tonight. My conscience is clear.

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
I *think* I have a good sense about what's going on with this thing. I've read a ton of stuff on this forum from folks with the same problem. It appears (again, from everything I've read on here) that the problem lies with the valvebody and shift solenoids.

I don't have the slip between 2-3, but I do get a small kick at about 40-45 mph that is very minor, but it makes me nervous because of the notorious problems that STs have. Someone has told me that it might just be the torque convertor and not a problem. Should I go get it checked out and do the flush/filter and EPC adjustment? Any suggestions

Latest posts