08ST First Oil Change

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter V

Reaction score
Performed my first oil change last night. Needless to say, one of the messiest I?ve performed. The flow of drain oil from the oil pan AND oil filter for the 4.6L are at odd angles. Ford tried to be crafty by installing what I call a ?flow director/ channel.? Well, for the oil filter flow, its purpose is served well. Flow from the oil pan is another story. 6-quarts of oil drainage creates quite the amount of flow when draining so all the flow director/channel does is create a backsplash of oil onto other parts of the vehicle. Not the best design IMHO. The next time I change my oil, I am installing a Fumoto drain plug with tube adapter to make future oil changes much cleaner and easier.

The whole process itself took me about an hour because I take my time and allow a majority of oil to drain from the pan and oil filter location. I ended up using 6-quarts of Mobil 1 5w20 instead of Amsoil just for the sake of overall cost. Torqueing down the drain plug to 17lbs also required the removal of the flow director/channel so that I could get my torque wrench in. Replacing the oil filter also proved to be a challenge. Ford recommends hand tightening the filter till contact, then rotate it another 270 degrees. Considering the location of the filter and my hand size, I was able to tighten the Fram filter with an accompanying filter wrench.

Post change, car seems to like the Mobil 1. I?ll keep track on fuel consumption to see if MPGs improve at all.

I have been using Mobil 1 in my '07 V8 since the first oil change and I am now at just over 98k miles. Truck runs fine with little oil consumption between changes. I have owned the truck since new. Not sure why but I have never experienced the oil splash issue you mentioned, or at least not anything I felt was excessive.

Like blksn8k, I also used Mobile-1 in my 2001 Sport Trac, and every vehicle I have owned ever since. That includes my 2003 Sport Trac, 2003 Saturn Ion-3, 2002 Toyota Highlander, my 2008 Mercedes and my 2013 Hyundai Tucson. My 2008 Mercedes came from the factory with Mobile-1 and that's what I have used at every oil change.

Mobile-1 is 100% synthetic oil, provides better heat resistance here in Texas, and allows for extended oil changes. Mobile-1 is readily available at reasonable cost. Unlike some gourmet oils like Amsoil or Royal Purple that charge a premium price that limits availability only through their distributors or a handful of stores.

I always believed in a quality oil, readily available, and at a reasonable price usually means that the vehicle will be easier to maintain and removes most of the excuses for not changing the oil.

...Rich

LOL HAHAH

Todd Z