08 STA 4.0L runs rough, no throttle response, engine light...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John McBeth

Reaction score
OK, I know this is weird, but...

My wife had an experience in the 08 STA 4.0L: "thought it died, but it was just running VERY rough, and the gas pedal would go to the floor with zero response (just coasting). Looked under hood and engine was vibrating badly, also the 'wrench' light came on. Truck never died, but idled really badly. I turned the key off, then restarted it and it ran fine, like nothing had happened..."

I thought this was odd, but whatever; until it happened to me! Drove home from work, 45 min's, made right turn from stop sign and thought the truck had died... but the tach said around 1500. Romped on gas to see if still running, but no change in tach or any acceleration, still thought it had died. Coasted to stop, turned off radio, opened windows, then realized that the truck was running, just REALLY rough. Pushing the accelerator pedal to the floor had ZERO effect and noted the 'wrench' light had come on. Turned it off, then restarted... ran like new!

HELP????

Sounds like a bad TB or MAF..... You can do a visual check of the electrical connections, But if you have the Warranty I would bring it in..

Todd Z

I think all of us have had this issue once, for me it was 130,000 miles ago, and has not happened since... The general consensus is that the IAC control gets stuck... I would take it in for documentation purposes, in case it turns into something more....

Since he has an 07 and up ST it has no IAC motor..

Todd Z

Yup...... they both use Drive by wire throttle..

Todd Z

Train, They did it for various reasons, MPG was one of them....

Todd Z

Latest posts