07 V8 - TB and 93 octane tune test

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat Freeman

Reaction score
After installing Todd Z's Throttle Body on my '07 V8, I have run both the stock 87 octane tune and the Xcal2 93 octane tune to do a comparison test. I ran quite a few tanks of 87 before running 3 tanks of 93 to make this comparison over the past few weeks. Unfortunately, I have no access to a dyno, nor did I want to spend the money trying to provide such accurate results.

The test that I have been doing is to see how fast I can get my ST between a stop sign and a speed limit sign on the way home from work. I did this test every day by ensuring there was no traffic around, that the road surface was dry and that I wouldn't impact anyone/anything. I do not know the exact distance to the speed limit sign from the stop sign. That's not important to me. What was important was that I was actually seeing a difference between unmodded TB 87, modded TB 87 and modded TB 93. My truck is stock except for the Magnaflow exhaust. Here goes...

Unmodded TB 87. I was able to accellerate from stop to speed limit sign a few hundred feet away and reach 55MPH. The truck took a little while to "get up and go" as response time was a little weak, something we all experience and some blame this on the throttle by wire. 14MPG city, 17MPG highway.

Modded TB 87. I was able to get to 60MPH. As reported on this forum previously, the initial responsiveness and power was significantly increased running the stock tune from the factory with Todd's TB modification. His mod doesn't make the transmission shift any better like the Xcal2, but there is better response from the engine and there is more power you can feel in the seat-of-the-pants. 15MPG city, 19MPG highway.

Modded TB 93. I was able to get between 60 and 65MPH. Shifts are much firmer and ST wants to plant you farther into the seat as RPMs increase. VERY nice performance combination! Although, from what I remember, it doesn't feel much different than the 93 octane tune on the unmodded TB. I would have to remove the TB and test with 93 but I don't want to. 14MPG city, 18MPG highway.

I have recently switched back to the stock 87 tune on 87 fuel and I actually miss the performance I was getting from the combination TB / 93. I just don't want to pay a lot for this fuel.

None of my measurements are accurate. It was just a seat of the pants test with me glancing at the speedometer. However, it is at least some data for those that are considering multiple mods. I'm going to stay on 87 octane for now. But, I really miss the 93 octane with Todd's TB mod!

Thanks Pat.

The v6 TB made over 6 RWHP on a dyno last weekend, I hope to get the V8 numbers soon...

Todd Z

Allen, that was on a S/c mustang that could not break 300 RWHP....

Slapped on the TB, and bingo.... 306RWHP !!!!

Ain't to shabby if it can help on a forced induction engine...

I want to get it on a bone stock one and see....

Todd Z

Pat, when you refer to the stock 87 octane tune is this still an Xcal tune or the original factory tuning? If it is the factory tune does that mean that the Xcal doesn't add much unless you are willing to use 93 octane gas?

Thanks for posting your time trials. I bought a '07 V8 about 2 monthes ago. My last 4 vehicles have been leases so finally having a vehicle I can modify is like having a new toy. I have bought one of Todd's TBs. It arrived today so I haven't installed it yet. Your posting is just the kind of advice I have been looking for.

Pat.

In summary, all three tunes were capable of getting you a speeding ticket in just a few hundred feet. :lol::lol: Just kidding

Actually, it's interesting to note that the 87 octane performance tune with the Todd's TB was able to give a noticable performance increase and give youa little better gas mileage, especially as the gas prices are on the rise again!

...Rich

Geoff - thanks for the question. To clarify, the stock 87 octane tune I am referring to is the factory tune. In my opinion, based on seat of the pants only, I think the 87 factory tune plus Todd's TB mod is very similar to the performance you get by running the 93 Xcal2 tune on the stock TB. The 87 octane Xcal2 tune doesn't give much better performance but it does make the ST shift quicker and harder. That will reduce 0-60 times because there's less lag between shifts.

Richard L - YEP! I like mods that can increase the ticket potential. :)

Thanks!

Latest posts