'07 V-8 Flatspot from idle.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gavin Allan

Reaction score
My '07 Trac runs great and does everything pretty well except for a flat-spot/hesitation when coming off idle speed. This isn't quite the same issue as previously discussed about the hesitation for throttle accelleration, but rather it is almost like the engine is going to stall.

My idle speed is still about 1200 RPM when warmed up.

No check engine lights, etc.

Gavin - the same thing happens with my '07 V-8 too, and I didn't quite know how to describe it until I read your post. It doesn't happen all the time, but it seems to happen the most in the morning, even after letting it run a while. When warmed up, my idle is more around 700-800 rpm.

I wish I knew how to fix this, but hopefully someone out there can steer us in the right direction.

Probably the good old Drive By wire. Since the throttle body adjusts the air flow and there is no IAC, it sounds like a lag in throttle responce....

Todd Z

GENTS..

Have you taken it to the DEALER to have the Computer "flashed" yet?? there is a TSB out on that truck... Mine had the same prob, After the "flash" it was gone!!!!:D

Good luck

Gavin, I do not,,,, It was for a tranmission issue... When I took it to the dealer I told them about this type of issue also... They told me that this "flash" would take care of it...

AND IT DID!!!!

I have it too. Mainly when it is first started or has cooled off for a long time.

It is as if you are taking your foot off the gas then hitting it again.

Well. There you have it.... Mr. Rodney07 has the proof!!!!

Thats what they did for me... Also set an appointment and tell them to give you a rental car!!!:D:D:D:D:D

Yep, I agree that it is a delay in the throttle by wire system. Every American car I've drive with a throttle by wire system has had a terrible accelerator lag/dead spot.

That doesn't explain why you idle is so high?? Once the engine is warmed up it should idle at about 500 RPM (I don't know the exact RPM) but that's where most V8's idle. A 4 banger might idle around 1000 RPM, but not a V8. It sounds like the engine is not warmed up, and requires more fuel and therefore a faster idle speed?

...Rich

Thanks a BUNCH, Rodney! I'll get it in to the dealer this next week.

My Trac has a build date of 05/12/06 (dealer left the build sheet in the glove box for me!). I assume it has the updated version, but I'll ask them to put in the latest version they can get their hands on.

Gavin

No problem Gavin, hope it helps.

There have been other people on here that have reported their build date to be after 5/4/06, but still had these similiar problems. Upon insisting their dealer flash per this TSB, problems went away. I know it certainly fixed a lot of my frustrations. One guy even sold his xcal2 after because he liked it better than the custom tunes he had.

wwashing,

I said "Every American vehicle I've driven with the throttle by wire". I have never driven a late model Corvette. The fact that they got one right out of how many hundreds of different vehicles over the years is pittiful.

I've driven a variety of American rental cars with the throttle by wire since the early 1990's and everyone has had a major throttle delay. It's a shame if they could only get it right on one car, the Corvette.

...Rich