07 Traction Control light coming on by itself.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone had a problem with there traction control light coming on by itself? I just bought my Sport Trac a month ago and the light has come on about 5 times. The dealership can't find a problem and it is driving me nuts! The light comes on then stays on until I turn the ST off. This can be anytime from 5 minutes to 20 minutes. It usually turns on when I am just driving on a straight away, no traction issues.

Also, anyone have an idea why it would occassionally leak water onto my foot while driving? The dealership claimed they fixed it, then it did it again. (Not everyday, just 3 or 4 times a week) They told me that I have to use the max. a/c, or it will continue to do this. But I have never had a vehicle that I ever used the max. a/c and no other vehicle "peed" on my foot several times a week. Does anyone have an idea?

Thanks!

:wacko:

Last edited by a moderator:
the traction control light on the dash? it comes on when ever the traction control is working. for example when im going around the corner and its a little sandy or wet and i gun it then it will slip a little bit and the tracion control will kick in. its completly normal happens reguraly to me (yes i am a bit of a lead foot, lol) also as for the water i have never had or heard of that problem. lol sorry

Oh, I should have mentioned that it comes on and stays on until I turn the vehicle off. One time it stayed on for about 20 minutes until I got home.

Yeah my traction control light will come on any time the tires slip or spin, like if you get in some loose sand or gravel, there's nothing wrong with it that's just the way it is suppose to work, when I first had it though that was what I thought too. - It's actually really nice come winter time on ice and snow! The Trac will go through anything in 4x4 with traction control.

I had a 03' taurs that would do something kinda like that it ended up the drain for the ac would seep back through the grommet in the firewall and run under the passenger side dash. I beleive the dealer sealed the grommet and put a different drain tube on it.

Hopefully this helps - sorry to hear about your troubles with the new ST - I have had mine about 10 months now and has been an awesome truck, no problems.

maserlaser and Ranger, does your traction control light stay on after you went through the loose stuff? She is saying hers comes on and stays on the rest of the trip.

Kathy-you might want to visit another dealership that is a little more competent and see if they can help resolve the dripping issue. I really don't think it should be leaking on your feet when it is one month old.

didn't someone say that once the traction control kicks in it doesn't shut off until you come to a complete stop? Something about it just cutting back the power to the front wheels to something like 20%? Could this be why the light stays on?

As for the water, are you sure it's just water and not antifreeze? I had a bad heater core in a car that would leak antifreeze by my right foot all of the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine has done the same thing as Kathy at least 3 times. I have simply put the truck in neutral and turned it off and restarted the engine.

My traction control has actually kicked and started slowing me down and a couple of times while simply driving on a flat, level surface under normal driving conditions with no loss of traction. I am waiting for the third time before I take it back to the dealer.

Do the two 07's here with traction control issues have 4 wheel drive?

My 07 has never exhibited this behavior and does not have 4 wheel drive.

haven't had a problem with mine...

have you checked the electrical plugs going into the front transfer case? maybe one of them is damaged and causing issues with the traction control, thus causing the light to come on like that (i'd think it would also toss a CEL code as well)

Latest posts