07 Sport Trac RWD V6 U-Joints

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm curious if anyone has had this issue before. I replaced the center support bearing in my Trac, and while I was at it, 135k miles, figured I would replace the u joints. They were crimped in, but finally got them out. I went to the local part store, who gave me 3 new ones. I opened the box and they were too big, went back, got new ones, they fit but the caps were too short and the allow for drive shaft wobble ( I guess you could call it that, they don't fit snug) and slide back and forth. I haven't had any luck finding these (except for Ford officially at $199.05 per with Special Order). Are the u joints that unique?

The drive shaft also has a sticker on it:

FoMoCo

7A24-4K145-HC

400605210232 G026L which seems to be a Ford F150. Also, the diagram for it shows a part number of 4635 but I see that there are 4635A, G, AB styles. Do these mean anything significant?

Thank you in advance.

Michael

Most people have had to just replace the whole assembly, the parts seem to be wrong and never fit right.

Todd Z

Thanks Todd,

That seems to be it for me. Looks like the u-joints were designed to be serviced with the driveshaft, so that's the purchase I have to make now.

Thank you for the help.

Michael

I would assume a shop that does drivetrain work could supply, install, and balance your shaft, maybe cheaper than a new assembly. :driving:

Not sure if it applies to the RWD V6 or not, but earlier this year in my 4x4 V8 07 Trac I had to get a new transmission installed. Something inside of it broke and shifted from 2nd into reverse on acceleration. Made a heck of a clunk but no lights on the dash/no problems for about 3 months. When it went out finally the trans shop told me that a spring inside had failed causing it to happen.

Anyways:

When it shifted like that it jolted the entire drive train pretty extreme. The center support in the drive shaft was broken. When they tried to get a replacement just the center shaft bearing/support wasn't available as it was a part of the drive-shaft. The new drive-shaft also included new U-Joints.

The parts were Ford parts from the dealer, as no aftermarket options were available.

Latest posts