'07 braking - two pumps for better braking?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat Freeman

Reaction score
When I first apply the brakes, I get a bit more travel than if I press the brake pedal twice. The 2nd time, it's a firmer and requires very little travel. Are other '07 owners experiencing this? I want to know if it's normal or if mine might have air in the system.

Sounds like air my friend....

Todd Z

This is a common issue with the new body style F150 as well. Dealers all say that it is 'normal'. There have been a few reports of pedals to the floor on the F150 site, but after a tow to the dealer the issue can't be replicated.

Hmmmm?? I wonder why that is considered normal on an 07 Sport Trac or the F150, but abnormal on any other vehicle??

Pat,

Is the initial pedal travel seem excessive to the point of being scary, or do you get the impression that the brakes are not going to stop you in time?? If it's just a matter of a slight difference in pedal drop, that may be acceptable, but anything beyond about 1/2" might get too scary for some people and Ford needs to fix that. I know personally that I do not like driving a vehicle if the brakes do not make me feel reasonably confident that they can stop the vehicle. Excessive pedal drop would be something that I would not find acceptable to drive.

...Rich

I am with Todd. More than likely some air in the system.

It can also be an issue with the ABS system. I have seen the ABS modules create this issue on the second and third generation computers. It didn't happen on the first generation as they basically did not activate any part of the system until one or more tires had a difference that was measured at the ABS sensor.

With the newer systems the module does much more compared to the early or first generation modules.

I also agree that it is probably air in the brake lines. I would take it back to the dealer and have them bleed the brakes just to be sure. Don't let them chase you away saying it's normal. Demand that they bleed the brakes and make sure there is no problem.

If they claim they bled the brakes and the condition still exists, I wiould take it to an independent shop and have them bleed the brakes It may be something as simple as a slightly leaking brake line fitting or a loose bleeder valve.

...Rich

Thanks for the input. I know how to bleed brakes so rather than waste valuable time, I'll probably try that myself, first. The initial travel is not bad. It's just noticable that when you press the first time, you don't get the stopping power you get on the second press. The 2nd time, if you apply the same force, you'll probably put yourself through the windshield.

Latest posts