06 Mountaineer problems

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Forbes

Reaction score
Well just turned in my 08 Sport trac tuesday and bought an 06 Mercury Mountaineer. I'll miss my sport trac but the mountaineer is loaded! :cool: Anyway I'm having some issues and wanted to get some opinions on what it could be. When I'm comming to a stop the car bucks forward. It does this when Im going less than 5 mph, and does not happen everytime I stop. Unforuntatley it didnt do this when I test drove it, but good thing its covered under warrenty. Anyway if anyone has had this problem or have an idea on what it could be let me know!

Thanks

steve.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it has the 6 speed trans. Sounds like the same problem Gen 2 Trac owners are having. There have been a couple of TCM program upgrades from the dealer for this problem.

Being on my 3rd Mountaineer since 2002 I know all about the problematic drivetrain issues these things have. I am 95% sure you are looking at a Trans. shift module failing. The problem is it will get to the point where it won't downshift from O/D when coming to a stop and will stall when you try to take off.It cost us 180.00 to fix this,the part was 78.00 if you can do it yourself.These drivetrains have one problem after another as you will see if you do a Google search on them!I would have NEVER gotten anther one after the first if they weren't so good to drive on the snow and ice.Needless to say this is the wifes car.

Had the same issue with our '04. Would lurch between 2 and 3, and also when putting into reverse. Had attempted repairs to it 4 times, each time was good for a few k more miles until it started back up again. The problems started at 8k miles, persisted on and off until 32k miles, which is when we filed and won a lemon law suit against Ford. Got PAID almost $2,500 for loss of usage, etc, and for possible future repairs we would have been "out of pocket" for, since we had the vehicle until 39k miles when it went off-lease and the warranty only covered until 36k.

Ford knew about these bad tranny's for years. 2002 to 2006 seemed to be the worst years.

TJR

Sounds like the tran. Although, I don't think they had the 6 speed in 06. Can't remember for sure though.

Yes it does. My wife has an 06 Mountaineer as well. Same exact engine and drive train as my 07 V8 - identical.

The TSB for the 6 speed tranny is the same. Apply it and you'll be fine.

Same thing was happening with my wife's '05 Mountie before we got rid of it. Had it in to the dealer and told them it was having the same problem as the ST's. They wouldn't do anything about it due to there not being a TSB specificly for the Mountie. This is why I'm probably done with Ford's when I'm in the market for a replacement for the ST.;)

Thanks for all the info guys! I took it to my uncles shop and unforuntly it didn't do a thing when he test drove it! And did it the whole ride home! But, I think im going to take it to the Mecury dealer this week and have them look at it. Hopefully its something that can actually be solved. I've been doing some research online and it seems to be a pretty common problem. So we'll see what happens. I also posted a link to the exact same problem that I'm having. Let me know if you have any input. Hopefully it just needs to be reprogrammed!

Thanks again, ill keep ya updated.

Steve

Latest posts