03 with no 4wd

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T Lipscomb

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
Hey guys, I just recently bought this Sport Trac and the 4wd doesn't work. I was looking for some insight. I've replaced the switch still nothing. When you turn the switch on the lights in the dash don't light up. I'm wondering if anyone can help me figure out how to test the 4wd control module that is in the kick panel? Im thinking thats what the problem is but Im in unchartered waters here as Ive never had the issue with no lights and nothing working either. Thanks!

...recently bought this Sport Trac
...4wd doesn't work
...replaced the switch still nothing
...turn the switch on the lights in the dash don't light
...how to test the 4wd control module...thinking thats what the problem
Welcome to the Herd; lots of friendly knowledgable folk in these forums!
2WHi~4WHi~4WLo Selector in dash center panel is likely NOT problem; just simple resistors; never fails.
The 2 common NotoriousFailureItems\NFIs for this BorgWarner#1354 4x4TransferCase are
* 4x4ControlMod mounted behind right side KickPanel
* 4x4ShiftMotor mounted on the backside of the 1354 TCase, below the DriversDoor\Seat
Best way to test which of these 2 is the likely failed item:
* Park on level ground where you've got access to crawl under DriversDoor\Seat; set EBrake.
* Use Jacks+Stands+WheelBlocks to raise vehicle & make safe as needed.
* Crawl under & remove 4x4ShiftMotor, 4 Bolts; leave Motor plugged into electrical harness
* Have a Buddy\Wife\GirlFriend get in DriversSeat & start Engin
* Have them put foot on BrakePedal, put Shift into Neutral
* You visually note how ShiftMotor mates with TransferCase TriangleStem & the 3 engraved positions.
* As you watch ShiftMotor output, have them slowly operate Selector 2WHi~4WHi~4WLo & back.
If ShiftMotor does rotate properly, then ShiftMotor is likely getting weak & failing.
If ShiftMotor does NOT rotate, then 4x4ControlMod is likely the failed item.
Explorers\Rangers\B4000s\.... used differing incompatible versions of ConMod+ShiftMotor
for years before 2001 & after 2005; so be sure to buy the appropriate 2001~2005 version.
If not done in the last 33kMiles\4Years,
now is a good time to drain+renew the Mercon\MerconLV (not MerconV) in the TransferCase.
Click here for more info on this TransferCase & Controls.
2001.Ford_TrCs.0020_Elec.Diag.GIF
2001.Ford_TrCs.Case_Borg.1354_000b.GIF
2001.Ford_TrCs.Case_Borg.1354_000c.GIF
2001.Ford_TrCs.Mdul_Ford.1L54-7h417-ab,ac,ad,ae.GIF
2001.Ford_TrCs.Swch_Ford.f87z-9c68-ba+f57z-11666-a.GIF

Last edited:
2WHi~4WHi~4WLo Selector in dash center panel is likely NOT problem; just simple resistors; never fails.
The 2 common NotoriousFailureItems\NFIs for this BorgWarner#1354 4x4TransferCase are
* 4x4ShiftMotor mounted on the backside of the 1354 TCase, below the DriversDoor\Seat
* Park on level ground where you've got access to crawl under DriversDoor\Seat; set EBrake.
* Crawl under & remove 4x4ShiftMotor, 4 Bolts; leave Motor plugged into electrical harness
* You visually note how ShiftMotor mates with TransferCase TriangleStem & the 3 engraved positions.
* As you watch ShiftMotor output, have them slowly operate Selector 2WHi~4WHi~4WLo & back.
If ShiftMotor does rotate properly, then ShiftMotor is likely getting weak & failing.
Explorers\Rangers\B4000s\.... used differing incompatible versions of ConMod+ShiftMotor
for years before 2001 & after 2005; so be sure to buy the appropriate 2001~2005 version.
now is a good time to drain+renew the Mercon\MerconLV (not MerconV) in the TransferCase.
View attachment 4451View attachment 4452View attachment 4453View attachment 4454View attachment 4455
I know the mercon lv is the latest. But I've always ran mercon v in my transmission and transfer cases

I know the mercon lv is the latest. But I've always ran mercon v in my transmission and transfer cases
It's your vehicle & transfer case, so definitely your choice.

View attachment 4451View attachment 4452View attachment 4453View attachment 4454View attachment 4455
Hey. Here’s the thing. When I turn the switch nothing happens at all. When I turn the ignition switch on the lights in the dash don’t come on at all.

It's your vehicle & transfer case, so definitely your choice.
Well it's fords choice because ford didn't release that newer fluid until December on 2005. So basically telling someone that you think they are wrong for using mercon 5 or mercon v whichever you refer to it as, but telling them it's not a good choice to run a certain fluid in their vehicle when that fluid did even exist when their vehicle was built is in my opinion the most asinine statement I've read in a while.

So in my 2004 I just changed the transmission fluid and transfer case fluid and im taking a big risk in not using a fluid that wasn't even manufactured when the truck was built? Is that what you are saying?

Ford even said mercon lv is not for use in a transfer case

Glad you've got an opinion.

"Just the facts, ma'am, just the facts." Joe Friday.
After original Mercon ATF was discontinued back in the 2000s
& MerconV was substitued for Mercon in Transmissions,
confused\incomplete info was coming from Ford on what to use in 1354 TransferCases.
Initial common "assumption" was MerconV could also be used;
but many failure reports appeared after these were dealer serviced with MerconV.
After reading on the issue ~10yrs ago, preference here for this 2001 model 1354 TCase became
ValvoLine MaxLife MultiVehicle ATF, label rated for use where Mercon\MerconV\MerconLV is spec'd.
Have not had a 1354 TCase problem excepting the notorious 4x4ShiftMotor & 4x4ConMod.
Suggest any 1354 TCase owner, read+research this issue & make their own choice of ATF to use.
Critical point for any TCase & vehicle generally: do maintenance & do NOT abuse the machine..

Last edited:
When people replace the battery, they do it wrong and damage the 4WD module.. Unless the motor on the tcase is bad...
I highly recommend using the 4wd on a rainy day on a straight road at least 1 time a month....

Latest posts