03 Fuel Pump

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barry E

Reaction score
Anyone know what I can expect to pay for a new fuel pump for my "03? Also, is it a major hassle to drop the gas tank and replace it? If I have it replaced by an auto repair shop, about how many hours for labor can I espect to be nailed for? Thanks, Barry

I would suggest unbolting the bed and lifting it up and then removing the pump as you will have good access to it.

This is a much safer method as compared to dropping the tank in regards to not breaking or bending various lines and or tubing to the pump.

I do not know the cost off hand, someone will chime in with a price though as many have done the job...

Looking at my 03 the pump sump is not under the bed of the truck....

The gas tank if empty is not hard to drop down, 3 hoses at the fuel filter and 2 bolts..

Todd Z

Thanks for the tip, Todd. This has been the third Ford truck I have had and have had trouble with all of them. One had a cracked head among many other things. The F150 was always crapping out with faulty ignition coils. My Sport Trac only has 32k on it! All the best, Barry

Todd's right the tanks is an easy drop if its real close to empty ! That's key.

The Ford service replacement pump is PFS441 $189.99

Take care,

Mr. Torrie R. McPhail - (Owner)

http://www.FastPartsNetwork.com

http://www.UnleashedTuning.com

Ford/GM/Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep SCT Custom Calibrator

You also have to disconnect the fuel-filler neck and the filler from the side fender, but overall it's not hard to drop the tank. Use or siphon as much gas out of the tank as prossible...you want it as close to empty as you can get it. If you still have some gas in the tank, you can use a padded floor jack to support the tank and lower it down.

...Rich

Thanks for your assistance on the fuel pump. The truck sat in a parking lot for 4 days....I tried starting it 8 different times over the course of those four days. The fuel pump never came on. Relay and fuse were fine. This problem has been going on now for two months stranding me on seven occasions. If I let the truck sit for several hours it will start...but twice it would not start until it sat for about 12+ hours. Fuel shut off mechanism was ok and I tried 3 different keys in case the PATs module was the problem. Banged on the fuel tank. Nothing helped. I finally called a tow truck today....and wouldn't you know it, the sucker started! It had sat for four days and refused to start the 8 times I tried it....I am not a mechanic and I have a question for you guys out there that are competent wrench turners: Is it possible (because we had very hot weather today in the high 80's) for the truck to start even if the fuel pump doesn't work. My idea is that the heat caused the fuel/fumes to expand enough to allow the engine to start.....and.....once it started, doesn't a vacuum keep the injectors supplied with fuel? I know that probably sounds far-fetched to you seasoned mechanics but I can't for the life of me figure out what's going on with this truck. Anyway, I guess I'll change out the fuel pump....cause it's going to keep happening if I don't (hopefully, that has been the problem all along. The truck has 36k on it. Best regards to all of you. Barry

My father-in-law has 25,000 miles on his Chevy truck when the pump failed. He paid over $500.00 to have it replaced.

Tom

Barry-

No, the vehicle will not start without a working fuel pump. The fuel injectors need liquid fuel to work, not fuel vapor. Once running, the fuel is not drawn in through a vacuum, it's all electronically driven by the fuel pump.

There is no drain plug on the fuel tank, so dropping it if it has more then 1/4 tank can be a bit of a chore. Nothing difficult, but just take your time and use a large piece of plywood on a jack to lower the tank, don't want the fuel to slosh around and tip the tank.

Strange that it started after sitting for 4 days. If my truck sits for a week without being started, as it often does, it's always a hard start because there is no liquid fuel in the fuel lines and the pump must first fill the lines before supplying the injectors.

The hard part for almost any electric motor is getting started. Once moving, it takes much less energy to keep it going.

If you want to swat the tank to get the pump moving, I think you have to have the key in the ignition turned to the "on" position so the pump has power. The thump on the tank is to try to get it started.

GM fuel pumps are high. They are $450 from the dealer, and $300 or more from the parts store. You can find them for $190 on e-bay though. I couldn't wait for mine, so I paid $300.

Barry,

If the ST only has 32K miles on it, why worry about the cost of the fuel pump repair?

Shouldn't it be covered free under warranty?

Sounds like you are having reliability problems with Ford trucks.

UPDATE: I see in your latter post that you say the ST has 36k miles. Was this a problem reported prior to your dealer? If so, they might fix it for free if you are just over/off warranty. Talk to them. Even if not reported earlier they might give you a deal on the fix.

TJR

Last edited by a moderator: