01 Job 1 Potential Problems

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kurt DeVries

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to the site. About 8 months ago, I purchased my first ST. Unfortunately, I didn't do enough research first before buying it, and I now own a 2001 Job 1 ST with 140,000 miles on it. I did hold out until I got what I thought to be a pretty good deal. At the time, I had absolutely no idea about the switch over in 2001 from Job 1 to Job 2.

Now that I have been following this site for a couple of months, I realize that Job 1 is not very popular and has some possible hidden troubles that could occur. My question comes down to this, "What problems or symptoms should I be watching and/or listening for?" So far, it seems to run pretty well accept for a little bit of an irratic idle once in awhile. Any comment or thoughts, good or bad, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

All cars are the same: Maintain them properly they'll give you good service for a long time. Most of the tasks are doable for the average DIYer - coolant, oil, ATF, gear lube, minor repair/replacement. There's plenty of how-to advice in Projects section of this site and elsewhere on the web (there are lots of good DIY videos on YouTube). What maintenance history came with this car? If little-to-none, then I'd start with checking condition of battery, coolant and hoses, replace fuel filter, engine air filter, oil change. Winter weather approaching, so take care of the things that can strand you. Good luck.

The concern over Job1 vs Job2 is entirely about the timing chain guides. Job2 got updated guides that are less likely to cause the dreaded timing chain rattle. I don't know how concerned I'd be if I were you because that is going to be entirely up to previous maintenance and luck. Search for the thread "what is you odometer reading" to see how long some of these Job1s are running. I have a Job1 myself and have had no issues so far but only have 109k on it. Some Job1s didn't make it to 100k, so that's why I say some luck is involved. Maintenance is key to help your luck.

Fixing the timing chain issue often requires removing the engine from the truck. Parts and labor on that quickly make it very expensive unless you are comfortable doing it yourself. The other options are a rebuilt motor, selling the truck or my personal favorite a 5.0L Explorer motor swap. The 5.0 swap is easiest on a Job1.

I have seen Job2s with timing chain issues, though, so getting a Job2 doesn't necessarily guarantee there will be no timing chain failures.

Since it's new to you, I suggest having all the fluids replaced (differentials, transfer case, transmission (screen, too), anti-freeze (check hoses and thermostat housing), brake, oil (filter, too)).

A good mechanic will make observations and glean useful information about the state of your new ride.

Unless you know when they were last replaced, you might want to replace the shocks.

Typical problems are:

Body mount bushings. Crawl under and look at them; you'll see.

Many have had the "2-3 shift flare", but I, thankfully, have not and, if you don't feel it, it probably won't happen.

Some have had the valve body seal delaminate, but I have not.

Ball joints are common (many replace with Moog).

Many have had the (POS plastic) thermostat housing seam leak; I did.

PCV line elbow crack.

Others??

I got mine new and keep up with the maintenance on mine and have had few other than routine repairs.

I don't believe there are any major problems in the 2001 Job1 that are unique to that model. Most of the problems that were noticed in early 2001 models continued throughout the Gen-1 model years 2001-2006.

Most common Gen-1 problems are:

1. Leaking fuel pump causing hard starting

2. Cracked, leaking vacuum hose elbow causing lean mixture CEL codes

3. Bad Firestone Tires on the Early 2001 Job-1 and Job-2's

3. Transmission problems causing the Blinking O/D light. caused by bad valvebody, and bad soleniods

4. Bad body mounts

5. Premature failure of ball joints

6. Front Disk brake squealing and some premature wear.

7. Steering column wiring harness damaged by tilt wheel causing very erratic operation of the starter, ignition, lights, turn signals, horn, wipers, etc...everything with steering column control wiring.

8. Squeaky drivers seat

9. Premature wear, cracking and fading of the leather seats.

10. Leaking sunroof and high mounted center brake light.

11. Tailgate rattles

12. Cracked SMC pickup bed, and leaking Hard Tonneau cover

13. Discoloring of the bumper tread inserts

14. Fading and rusting of side step bars.

15. Power steering pump noise

Added: I almost forgot the Timing chain rattle, and serpentine belt idler pulley noise.

While the list appears long, most issues are minor and easily fixed and yours has probably had most of these items repaired or replaced already.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
I just want to say thanks for the responses. The responses shared makes me a little less worried that I have bought a lemon ST. Much appreciated.

Just to share for those of you curious, the previous owner owned the ST from new. I want to say it might have been one of the first ones assembled of the production lines. He did mention that he ordered it before they were available at the dealership he patronizes. All the maintaince records were kept and "filed" away in an oversized envelope that had absolutely no organization what so ever. I did go through the pile of paperwork and found that he did keep up on the maintaince of the vehicle. :supercool:

After getting the ST back home, ALL the fluids were changed by a reputable shop. They also noticed (or heard, I think) a vacuumn hose broken somewhere and fixed that as well. The step bars were extremely rusted, so they were immediately taken off. It will continue to get routine maintaince and hopefully, with a little luck mixed in as well, I will have a great truck that will last me many more miles to come.

Thanks again for the input.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am 2nd owner of mine..

got it with only 12K miles on it..

it now has over 100K and still going strong.. (Was, in storage right now while I live over in Denmark now. use it when I go home)

I love the fact I was able to get and test out the Fully modified Throttle body for Todd.

Have had all the normal things to do. nothing to major.

As everyone here states.. just need to keep up with the maint. and it will last a long time.

Latest posts