Yuma, AZ vs Oxnard, CA

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob Dryer

Reaction score
Anyone lived in either? Pro's Con's? Chances are one of those two is going to be my wife's next duty station. So I'm looking for any and all personal experience with either area, I'm writing up a list of pros/cons and some personal experience will help clarify I think since otherwise it's just internet data.

Thanks.

I grew up in Oxnard California. within walking distance of NCBC Port Hueneme.

actually I worked on base while I was in High School.

Is she going to be at Port Hueneme or Point Mugu?

The Ventura County area is really nice when I was there.

I'm sure it has gotten much more populated since.

Arizona is really nice too.

If you prefer a more isolated outdoors activity area I'd go for Yuma.

you can ride dirt bikes and go 4 wheeling.

If you like more of the city life, Oxnard is more for you.

Of course, Phoenix is a nice city too, not sure how far it is from Yuma.

I got a friend that works for Lockheed that went back to Yuma I think.

He likes it out there.

Good Luck with your choices, either one is a good one.

Arizona is gonna have better cost of living.

California is gonna have Bill Barber and the ocean.:lol:

We've already lived in CA for 18 months, it's not that bad. Sure I don't like some things about it, but that is true about every place.

She would be at Port Hueneme, if we go to CA.

AZ is stupid hot year round, I don't know how active we would be outside with it being over 100 degrees several months out of the year.

Yuma is all but in Mexico.. so hows that for a negative?

Was stationed in Tucson Az and hated it. Spent a lot of time at the bombing range in Yuma,,, and that was worse! Yuma is a cool town, but,,,, no, not Yuma! IMHO

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a dry HEAT!!!! Keep telling yourself that one...:lol:

I was at Nellis for two weeks, that was a killer trip!

They took the shirt off my back every night!:eek:

130 degrees on the flightline!

We used to have ORI's with the GA ANG in Savannah every August

for our two week training. In Chem Warfare suits, I hate Savannah in August!!!:angry:

JD,

The heat is what first came to my mind. Could the twins handle the heat? I it where me, I would choose Oxnard over Yuma. In Oxnard you could take the kids down to the beach frequently which would be a lot of fun for them; more fun than the hot sand in Yuma, Az. That's my $0.02.

Gonna miss inviting you to the next Seattle meet JD! It was great getting to meet you and the misses and the little ones !

As for Yuma over Oxnard?! I lived in both actually. Pros and cons.

Yuma aint as small as it used to be, but I have not been back there for quiet some time. Yes, you need to think about the little ones, it will get hot, dry or not! You will actually get to know your neighboors (more of that later), and the people you will meet will be friendly. You will want to be sure your AC is fully functional in the trac, but during the winter month (yes, month), you will only hit about 80's high and 50ishes low. I wouldn't want to live there only because of the heat, otherwise I would still be living there, or the vicinity.

Now, as for Oxnard, I used to live behind Port Hueneme in a nice little beach house. I loved going to the beach every freakin day after work, get some boarding and beer in before I headed home for more boredom and beer. I didn't get to know my neighboors until I moved, and it was to see how much I was selling the house for. I was introduced to hockey while living there, and although the weather is sweet, the surfing was great, and the women...wait, you married....

I enjoyed my stay in Oxnard, but wouldn't want to live there. The traffic in Yuma, actually all of AZ, tends to contain more civil and intelligent drivers. While Cali has more....I can't think of the word....Oh yea, CRAZY drivers.

Oxnard might be better on the littlest, but you will find Yuma more 'home'like.

Whatever you choose, it was great to meet you and the family. I will be sure to invite you, even if you can't come. Will save a pork chop for ya!

I was born in Yuma, Arizona. My dad was stationed there in the late 70's in the Marines, he worked on and built A4's, A-10 WartHogs, Harriers,etc. I only remeber that it's the ((("HHOOTTEESSTT")))) place in North America. I always wanted to go there and revisit but haven't got the chance to yet.

:D

Jerry,

You didn't live close to Sunkist Elemtary school did you?

I lived in the mobile home park across the street for a while

before moving close to the SeeBee base,

used to go out the back gate and walk a block to the ocean!:cool:

Funny, how many people lived there and relocated.

it really is a small world, isn't it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Still live in Oxnard and actually came out here through Port Hueneme. For a small town guy growing up in Corpus Chrisit, TX, Pueblo, CO, and Fairbanks, AK I can tell you Oxnard is nice. Sure there are crazy drivers, but the Port Hueneme area is somewhat sheltered from that, about 7 miles from the 101 FWY. You have the beach at your doorstep, moutains 45 minutes away, snowbording about 1.5 hours away and a perfect climate all year.

If you ride street bikes there are nice roads everywhere to ride. Great area for cruises as well.

Oh and excellent Mexican food all around if that is your taste. I know I love it.

Didn't live in Yuma, but flew out of there quite a bit. There is nothing there but desert. Which, could be a good thing if that's what you like.

Latest posts