Ypor opinion please - Ford ST 4x2 vs Ford AWD Five hundred

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anupam Routh

Reaction score
Greetings! My wife drives my 2003 4x2 Ford ST. I drive 2007 AWD Ford Five Hundred [previous name for new Ford Taurus]. For a long trip [say New York to Los Angeles] Which one will be safer? Ford 500 is a all wheel drive. This will be safer in all weather, specially in hilly country. Ford ST is a truck. So it must be better if a crash happens. That is my wife's opinion. What is yours? With thanks.

Take the car. Better gas mileage and I bet you would find out its better in an accident. The whole easy roll over thing on the st kinda negates it crash worthyness.

Depends on the season you are traveling (with regards to snow, etc). Otherwise I would take the most comfortable vehicle and/or the one that gets the best gas milage...

Flying isn't traveling--it's commuting.

They say once you drive a truck, you'll never want to drive a car again, but my vote is for the car on this. It'll hopefully be more fun to drive, and it could break the 25 mpg barrier that I've never broken with the Trac.

As Les mentions, Snow + Hill = fun in a 2wd trac, but it's a sort of unproductive fun.

I'm siding with the AWD car for efficiency and driving fun.

i would say... if you enjoy the drive of your sport trac, take the trac....

which ever would be more comfy...

i would take my ST anywhere

Having driven the Ford 500 I'd say hands down take it for comfort. I'm not sure where you would be going that would make the Trac the better option.

For safety concerns doesn't the 500 have side curtain air bags? Also I think it is rated higher on crash tests than the 03 Trac.

For a very long trip I would rank the priorities of selection criteria as follows (highest first):

1) Comfort

2) Storage room and packability

3) Fuel economy

4) Safety

With that said, I expect that for me the 500 would win hands-down.

TJR

Latest posts