your thoughts & help for a LAPTOP

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary s

Reaction score
got a Gateway ML6731 notebook for my bithday. just got around to charging it now fresh out of the box.

it has windows vista home premium with sp1.

ok, i am a computer dummy so i would like your thoughts on this machine. i am just going to use it for some wireless internet. i also picked up a netgear range max router.

as far as i know thats all i need to get this baby running. i have been told, that i went overkill on the router, but i thought i would get the best.

please your thoughts and do i need anything else for my use. i didn't get a chance to talk to our computer dep't so i am reaching out to the experts.

hopefully, i can have her up and running tomorrow night, so i can go on this site from anywhere in my house!

apprec any help thanks :)

Get Norton Internet Security or similar product. This will protect your computer from attack by setting up a firewall and providing anti-virus protection.

Gary,

Make sure you've got a good virus protection software and firewall installed on your puter.

For about 6 years now, I've been using System Mechanic Pro on my systems. It's great for keeping junk out of your computer and also has a built in virus and firewall package. Before, I had McAfee and Norton....but since I've been running SM, I'd never go back.

Good luck with your new puter :)

also be sure that the router is set up for a secured network, others around you could steal bandwidth on your network if not secured...(network key)

DO NOT GET NORTON INTERNET SECURITY. IMO you will just complicate things and in my experience it never seems to work smoothly. Assuming you don't go to pron(spelling intentional) sites or clicking on pop-ups and opening junk email. You should be fine with a free anti-virus program like avg.

<a href="http://free.grisoft.com/ww.download?prd=afe"target=top>LINKEY</a>

You can really speed things up by ridding a new PC of all the "bloatware" that comes on it.

George will probably walk you through how to effectively kill it all.

After you get used to Vista and get it set up correctly and the way you want it, you'll love it.

Besides security software, the most important aspect of computing is consistently backing up your data files.

You should also, right out of the box, make a startup disc. Your manual or your PC help files should tell you how to do it.

CNet.com is by far the BEST place to find tips and help. I go there almost every day for something. It's a HUGE collection of people smarter than either one of us.

Good luck! :)

Jerry G is right. I just rebuilt my Dell desktop. It had something wrong with it when I came from the US. I formatted the hard drive and only installed Windows XP. None of the other junk that came preloaded. The system runs better than it did when new. It is now my network server for the home network. All internet (including the wireless) now passes through it and our two laptops and my iPod Touch never connected to the net faster than now.

I'm still trying to figure the network file and printer sharing, but we are happy as it is now. :)

Latest posts