Your hawt but really dumb!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The House Education and Labor Committee has released a discussion draft bill that would reauthorize No Child Left Behind. This bill is only a draft, and the Committee has asked for comments on the bill by September 5, 2007.

Last edited by a moderator:
What she was thinking about....

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yB8kgdvbVNg"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yB8kgdvbVNg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

RShek,

Are you aware, that many other countries like those in Europe have teachers that belong to a union, but the students excel over the USA?

Is the problem caused by the teachers union or is it just the "American way of life"?

I mean, if a company is only as good as its leader, what hope do we have with that bafoon in office?

Seriously though. You can not put the blame on the teachers union, or any union in that manner. The USA is not the only country that has organized labor. Japan has unions. Germany has unions. So do most other developed countries and they ALL perform better than the USA does.

Why is that? Can it be blamed only on the unions when other countries have organized labor too and those countries beat us in education, trade, healthcare, etc.?

Our government knows it costs MORE to make a penny than the penny is worth. They do not know what to do about it. Has anyone ever thought to just get rid of the penny and make a 2 cent piece? Forget about the nickel idea on rounding everything to the nearest 5 cents. Round it up to an even penny. Problem solved.

How about the dollar bill? They want us to switch to a dollar coin, but still produce dollar bills. If you want us to switch, quit making dollar bills and only make dollar coins.

This mentality startes above and trickles down to everyday life.

We have this thing with blaming unions for everything. We are too blind to see other countries do not have the problems that we do, but they also have organized labor.

We got Nelson here that thinks his Mazda3 was built in Japan by non-union labor. He only got half of it right. It was built in Japan. The other half he got wrong? The employees are union. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Ignorance is bliss!

Tom

The main thing I blame the teacher's union for is the resistance to change. Personally, I don't care if Japan or Germany's teachers are unionized. Fine, not concerned about them, my kids will go to school in the UNITED STATES.

The Teacher's Union (more specifically the NEA) is a POLITICAL group, not a union that actually cares what the output is (generally speaking, I am quite aware that there are exceptions to the rule).

The NEA fights against any and all changes to the status quo of education in this country. They want teachers to be paid highly no matter how poorly the student perform. They are generally against standardized tests. They are generally against paying based on performance.

In this case I don't think that it's a Union problem, it's a POLITICAL problem. Education is a politcal football. Everyone wants to carry it, but everyone drops it right before the touchdown. The Democrats and Union leadership see it as opportunity to gain seats and power by claiming that there are all these problems, but only fix the cracks, leaving the gaping holes alone. "Let's ban TAG!", "Sensitvity training for all!", "No more football or cheerleading as those who don't make the team have their ego's bruised." "No more baseball because Title 9 states we then have to have a softball team." Meanwhile the graduates cna't hardly spell, read, read a map, know where the United States is, know what the capital of Vermont is, know that the Mississippi is the 3rd longest river in the world, know how to solve x+y=z equations, can't even figure out how to make proper change for a $20 bill. There is little to no econmic education. There "seems" to be even less civic education. No, we're too busy blaiming President Bush for "allow" the inner city schools to be over run with drugs. We're to busy sueing gun makers and the NRA for the proliferation of guns on campus (which I thought were gun free zones... huh. Imagine that... the only ones following the rules are victims, but I digress).

I've had teachers that made a lasting impression on me in both ways, good and bad. I've had teachers that were the most sexist people on earth (a girl in class got an A no matter what and a boy had to work his a$$ off for a C or a B and nothing could be done about it). I've had teachers that encouraged us to do more, see more, be more outside of the text. I've had teachers that were a mix of good and bad.

It costs about 1-1/2 cents to make a Penny.... yep the day of the $.01 have passed. Time to update.

I would love to see a $1 and a $2 coin. It's one of the few things that I beleive Canada has an advantage over the US in.

Leadership has been sorely lacking. There was a few glimmers of possibility in the past few years, but really the last "leader" we had as a nation was Reagan. I don't see anybody in Congress stepping up. Few of the presidential candidates have the potential, and the two that do on the Demonrat side won't even get 5% of the vote, combined. The Repubichairican's have a bit more promise, but still no standouts yet (though Thompson may change that, we'll see).

Personally, I don't care if Japan or Germany's teachers are unionized. Fine, not concerned about them, my kids will go to school in the UNITED STATES.

You missed the point. We need to look at the examples of other countries to see what the problem here is. Is it a union problem? In the USA, we see unions as a problem and they should be abolished.

If we look at other countries, we will also see that they have unions and do not have the problems that we have. This is something most union bashers do not know. Organized labor is not just a USA thing.

With that being said, since we know that it is no longer a union problem, but a leadership problem, lets take the blame off the unions and place it on the leaders.

They are generally against standardized tests.

I agree with them as I am against standardized tests. Standardization tests cause the schools to teach how to pass a test, not teach to learn. The hardest test in the world does not show how much you know.

I am an example. I am terrible at taking tests. I am not a good test taker, but I know more than the average person knows. Does that make me better? No. Tests are not a true reflection of education since anyone can teach you how to pass the test and nothing is learned.

It costs about 1-1/2 cents to make a Penny.... yep the day of the $.01 have passed. Time to update.

Yup, make a 2 cent piece. Problem solved.

Dollar coins only is great. Dollar bills suck anyways. The USA is one of the few countries that has such low denominations in bills.

Leadership has been sorely lacking.

Listening to that dummy in DC is enough proof of that.

FWIW, unless there is a 3rd election fix job going on, the Repukelicans have not got a chance in hell to become president.

Tom

TJR,

I really do not think that about Republicans. I hate aqll polititions and I personally feel none of them have the countries best intrests at heart, rather they take care of those that "donate" (read: PAY) the most.

The only reason I said that was RShek has a habit of calling Democrats everything under the sun, including "Demonrat" (Demon Rat) today.

I know Ryan holds the Republicans very close to his heart and sometimes comes across as one that would give his life to that party. I was just simply playing the game.

Tom

Yup, make a 2 cent piece. Problem solved.

I disagree. It won't be all that long before inflation makes the cost of a penny higher than two cents. And at that time, we would simply be renewing this argument, but now would be having it about the two-cent piece. In other words, rather than fixing the problem, we'd simply be delaying it.

To solve this issue, we need to find a solution that fixes the issue for a significantly longer time than a two-cent piece would. I agree that simply eliminating the penny and making the nickel the smallest denomination is a step in the right direction.

George Carlin knows why our educational system will never get better:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ccYoVnBc_fk"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ccYoVnBc_fk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

I disagree. It won't be all that long before inflation makes the cost of a penny higher than two cents. And at that time, we would simply be renewing this argument, but now would be having it about the two-cent piece. In other words, rather than fixing the problem, we'd simply be delaying it.

Lets eliminate cents than. Lets just make the smalles denomination now a dollar. No matter what we do, we are only delaying the problem.

So what? I prefer to go with the 2 cent piece vs. the nickel. Why? Becuase it will cost us, the consumer, millions of dollares because the common prices will all go up a extra penny or so to make sure it gets rounded up.

Tom

Latest posts