You Tell 'Em I'm Coming...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gavin Allan

Reaction score
My sister left her brand new mustang parked at my house all week. I was walking the dang dog the other day and noticed a license plate frame on her car that said:

You tell 'em I'm coming and that Hell's coming with me (or something like that).

Anyway, I was kind of intrigued by the license plate frame, so I thought Id look for it online, or at least find out where that came from. Anyway, it came from the movie Tombstone, and I think it was said by Wyatt Earp. There are some YouTube videos of the clip if you are interested.

My sister is so cool- she lives in an old one-room school house, raises horses, fancy chickens, long-horn steers, and welsh corgis. She has been a pro boxer and fought in Madison Square Gardens, and I learn all sorts of stuff from her. She also has a 4x4 F-350 Crew Cab Dually (a little bigger than my Trac).

Last edited by a moderator:
is she single? :wub:

lol j/k buddy. Cool quote though. I love westerns.

Ever see Deadwood? Best HBO series I've ever seen. Its a shame that they canceled it because it ends at the climax of the series lol.

I'm your huckleberry...:cool:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KfbAFgD2mLo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KfbAFgD2mLo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Westerns are awesome--though I missed most of the modern ones, and after I saw the AWFUL remake of 3:10 to Yuma where Russel Crowe went out like a punk for "artistic flair", I'm been scared to try 'em. Doc Holiday is always a classic char imo, although I'm not sure what "I'm yo' huckleberry" is supposed to mean, cause Tom Sawyer woulda put up a better "fait" than that :D

(Besides Master & Commander: The Far Side of the World, is there any movie where Crowe didn't go down like a punk? Gladiator gets honorable mention, because while he did die a pathetic death, he wasn't a total detriment to the movie the rest of the time...ungh, Yuma's remake was so bad)

KL,

I don't want to start a debate, but I liked the remade "3:10 to Yuma".

I didn't think he went "out like a punk".

Yes, he turned himself in out of reverence to the boy that just lost his father who was the man that got him to the train against all odds.

Yes, that SEEMS like a punk move, I guess...

...BUT, he also whistled for his horse as the train pulled out of the station, and the horse follows. That clearly indicated to the audience that he wouldn't be on that train long, and certainly wasn't going back to jail (or the gallows).

I liked the remake. Was a good story of redemption (if that is a punk in your eyes, then so be it), but not complete redemption (he wasn't going to martyr himself). I'm a sucker for those "bad guys with a heart of gold" stories.

TJR

TJR, Crowe wasted his loyal men as a sadistic game :(

He became Doctor House--same manipulations, only with a gun.

He was never truly "captured" by the do-gooders, he played along, as was demonstrated many a time, culminating by murdering his own men once he was free and clear.

Crowe, as mentioned, could have escaped any time he wished. He knew that the father would never survive the onslaught wrought by his own men, and he knew that they were coming. He led the father to the slaughter, so that the father's wish for redemption could be granted in the eyes of his son. However, since Crowe knew the outcome, the whole charade was just sadistic manipulation. Killing his own men fits, he got the satisfaction of doing so, and for ultimate sadism the father's son bore witness and holds Crow as a sort of hero for doing so. The father's quest for redemption by incarcerating a deadly fugitive ends with his demise, and his son idolizing the criminal.

As you mentioned, the implication is there that the challenge to escape the train, and the means to do so, are present, so Crowe is now free to start a completely new life as a criminal, which would mean that there was no redemption.

The other possibility, the idea that he is going to escape and ride off into the sunset as a "rehabilitated" criminal is shallow and false. To escape the train to start such a life would revert him back into a criminal, so again there can be no redemption.

The bottom line is that there was no redemption.

KL,

Funny how two different people can watch the same movie and find different things from it.

Yes, Crowe's character played a game throughout the movie, but he seemed to be portrayed as never killing anyone that didn't deserve to die. His right-hand man was a scumbag of the highest order. I was glad when he got killed by Crowe. Crowe's character came off as smart, worldly, polished, and as close to the "gentleman gunslinger" as one could get. Yes, he was tough, and yes he killed his own men that either didn't do as they were told or were supposed to; or, at the end, his own men who were trying to keep him from being placed on the train.

When the boys father got killed by Crowe's men, and when it was certain that he could just walk away, he instead turned the gun onto his own men. Sadistic, you say, redemptive, I say. He could have walked away, but he didn't. He didn't, largely for the sake of the boy, and so that he could give that hollywood line: "When you tell people about your old man, you tell them he was the man would could get Charlie Wade to the train when no one else could!" (that's from memory, I don't even remember if that was the name of Crowe's character).

I know you don't like hollywood sentimentality, so I suspect it was that line that spilled the whole pot of beans for you and made you reflect negatively on the entire movie and the actions of Wade/Crowe (though I could be wrong).

But, for me, the movie worked. And, as I said, I thought it was in character to call the horse at the end.

TJR

I liked 3:10 to Yuma but was somewhat disappointed by the ending as well. And who the heck couldn't LOVE Blazing Saddles??

One movie which I had really high hopes for upon seeing the previews was "Apaloosa" written by/directed/starring Ed Harris. While the movie was pretty dang good, I couldn't help but feel that Renee Zellweger ruined it with her terrible performance and squinty face. If Ed had cast another female for that role the movie would probably be up there as one of my favs.

Wait, what was that really horrendous movie with leo decraprio? The one that could easily be ranked worse than Russel Crowe's remake?

Oh, it was The Quick and the Dead. That was horrible. It tried to make a whole movie out of the cowboy cliche of the duel at noon in the street.

The 9mm revolver could hit a person and put a tiny hole in them, and then later the same revolver could hit a person in the head and the head exploded like a watermelon who tried to stand against R Lee Ermy. :wacko:

Although the backstory of the one female duelist who killed her father trying to shoot the rope which was hanging him was hilarious, so wrong, but yet so funny.

That's up there in the "pantheon" of the worst westerns of all time.

I have vague memories of clips of Apaloosa, but 3:10 again scared me away--far away--from dats.

"Tombstone" is one of my favorite movies, and indeed the "Hell's comin' with me" is in there, and "I'm your huckleberry". Val Kilmer played a great Doc Holiday

Actually, my favorite part from that movie is when a couple of guys in Earp's posse (or whatever you want to call it) that are going after the Cowboys are asking Doc why he is doing it, since he is dying of Turburculosis. He replies "Wyatt Earp is my friend". One guy says, "Hell, I got lots of friends." Doc's response: "I don't"

Rocks

I saw the clip and I still don't understand the "I'm your Huckleberry" line.

I'm thinking Sam Clemens' Huckleberry Finn, and that doesn't seem to fit.

I saw the clip and I still don't understand the "I'm your Huckleberry" line.

In the movie, Doc said that several times to Johnny Ringo. Ringo was a psycho who believed that there wasn't anyone around who was equal to him as a cold-blooded, quick-draw killer, yet was always looking for a challenge. Doc was basically saying "I'm your man", or "I'm the one you're looking for."

Kinda like in the Arthurian legend where Lancelot is constantly looking for another knight to give him a decent challenge in jousting or battle.

Latest posts