You have $1000 of my money

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott H

Reaction score
Build me a great sound system.

I already have a mid-level Alpine Deck.

Have fun spending my money and thank you.

Scott,

Ok, heres what i did for my trac: although u do lose the rear seat entirely.. You will hit 143 DECIBELS!!! AND SOUND CLEAN DOING IT!! lol

Ok: you have a deck mid level so i assume its got sub controls... Wuith that being said i would buy a Kenwood KAC-9152d which is a class d sub amp rated at 900x1 rms at 1 or 2 ohms. I got this amp on onlinecarstereo.com for $180 shipped. worked great! for my subs i ran 2 JL audio 12w3v3s in a subzone ported box! the subs ran me $200 each at an authorized dealer, and the box was $120. so far your at $700.. next youll need a good 4 gauge amp kit. that was around $50 i believe.. As for speakers, i ran JL Audio 5x7 tr coax speakers in the front doors, which cost me $150, and then i ran kenwood cheap 5x7s in the back doors because they really didnt matter with the seats folded down and with 2 12s ported lol. My total spent was around $975..and it was LOUD and boomy. By the way, i used a mid level premier head unit, so it should be about the same with you. If you dont mind a 2 seat trac, you should look into this. The speakers run very clean, and are very efficient, and they dont even require an amp! You really cant go wrong with JL for Sq and good SPL. and youwill be very impressd i guarantee!

Good luck

Andy

I'm about to do a similar upgrade. I already have an Alpine 9851 head unit pulled from my Ranger, and I'm ordering the following:

Infinity Kappa 682.7cf front and rear, $300

Infinity Kappa 104.7W 10" sub wired for 2 ohms, $180

Under-seat box from eBay: $100

Alpine MRP-M650 600W amp, $300

or

Alpine MRD-M605 600W amp, $400

I listened to the Infinity, Alpine, Sony, JBL and other speakers in Best Buy, and I liked the sound of the Infinities the best of the lot, though Infinity, Alpine and JBL were all a close call. I didn't care for the Sony and Kenwood speakers personally, though this was too long ago for me to recall my specific reasons. I've never listend to any JL Audio stuff, but have heard good things, though I'm going to go with what I actually had a chance to audition in person.

I've always liked the sound of the Alpine amps, and I've always put together systems that were 100% in favor of sound quality, not decibels of boom. My sub will be in a small sealed box that will play lower and smoother, but not as loud as a ported or bandpass box. I had the Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1D in my Ranger and it was awesome. Not super loud, but you could easily hear and feel stuff well below 30 Hz. If you're playing music for yourself, this is great. If you're trying to impress the ladies with your boom from 1/4-mile away, my system recommendation is not for you--you need to devote your whole back seat area to a huge, dual-12", high-wattage bandpass box for that.

Adam, that sounds like a pretty good system as well! I got rid of the system after i traded in my sport trac this past fall. My new ranger is in the process of getting a new system, but it won't be under the $1000 mark. So far, I bought a Pioneer Premier P580MP head unit, which ran me about $250 with all installation parts. Then i put in new JL Audio 5x7 TR coaxials in the front doors and in back walls. These ran me about $350. I already got my amp for my birthday. The amp is the JL 500/1, which costs $599.99. The JL slash series amps are among the best on the market today. I will eventually(when it gets warmer) be getting 2 JL 10w3v3s in a ported box that will be upfiring in the back seat of the ranger... This should hit pretty hard and loud. Also, in the future is a 5 volt subwoofer output line driver so that i can up my current preamp voltage from 2.5 to 5 volts so it's easier on the amp... I may also jump up for JL 300.2 amp for my front doors in the distant future. All totaled, this new system will cost me somewhere around $2000-$2500 dollars, which i dont mind spending on a new truck because it will be a keeper!

PS: i do like to impress the ladies and be heard 1/4 mile ahaha:D

Andy Szkutak

1 JL 500/1 $600

1 box from JD Boxes $200

1 pioneer shallow mount 12" $100

1 amp mount kit and misc parts under $100

do the door speakers and amp later when you have more money.

Scott. I also have a mid-level Alpine in my Trac. I upgraged the door speakers, added a 12" woofer and mono amp and I'm very happy with my sound. Probably didn't spend much more then $500. (Got the Alpine mono amp used off ebay and it works great).

Check Elemental Designs, they have great products for a very resonable price. I just picked up a set of there new 6000 components and they are awesome.

http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/product_info.php?cPath=1_23&products_id=49

I bought it from C Wells who used to be a site sponsor here. I believe JD Boxes is now selling them. You will not be able to fold down one side of the rear seats though. Unfortunately space is limited in the Trac.

That's a pretty wild mix. You are going to want ot find a system that will compliment that variety. Rap bass doesn't sound the same as country bass. Just my opinion.;)

Ok.

What will boom rap for under $1000?

Just sub, amp, box and other minor fees.

I think any of the above mentioned systems. I think with a booming rap bass you want an enclosed (unvented) box. If you want a more mellow less pounding (rock/country, you want a vented box. I got that from an article I read once. Me? I have a vented box under my seat and a sealed behind it. I'm getting the exact sound I need. (I'm more of the thrash double bass type of guy):D;)

Stone that isn't really correct. It is totally dependant on the construction of the box. For rap a ported box tuned high is what most people use. Rap songs tend to have bass in the 40-50hz range. Rock/Classical/Country is typically in the lower section of 30-40hz.

Ported will be louder than sealed at it's ported fq but sealed will have a smoother fq curve.

Prefab ported boxes are usually tuned somewhere around 37hz.

Keep in mind everything I said is USUALLY and not set in stone.

Back to Scott... If you want to be loud which is typically what rap listeners want and don't get me wrong I like being loud :) then you really aren't going to get that without getting something up in the ST. I at one point had 3 10's behind the seats and just because of airspace and the speakers I had to use I'm not anywhere near as loud as my single 10 which is in the center console now.

So like Stone said anything listed above would be fine but make sure you get a box that suits your needs.

My subs are going to be dependent on the box, which my choices are very limited. I want the box either under the backseat or behind it.

Behind the seats you have <5" under the seats without lifting them I'm pretty sure you can get 5 1/2"

So your sub options are limited by mounting depth.

Would you consider losing your 40% seat? Then you could fit something much larger.

Latest posts