xm satellite radio

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis Mouser

Reaction score
just installed my AudioVox XR-9 in the trac, using the FM tuner built in to the satellite radio sounds like AM radio quality...they say I need the cassette tape adapter...like the radio..I feel the 13.00 month +taxes is a little steep for the selection but just installed last night..I have the same one Jim D has below...really like the deal I got just looking to see if anyone has any pointers... getting 3 bars of signal at best...will get pics as soon as I complete the install....FYI sounds great in the house when using the RCA's

Circuit City had a splitter that allows you to run directly into the antenna line, thus no static or other issues associated with the FM transmitter. Much better quality and it takes only a few minutes to install. It cuts out any additional signal on the FM setting, so all you get is the satellite signal (in my case Sirius). All the FM channels around me had signals on them and that and the interference made for poor quality. I used the cassette for quite awhile, but it did not like to work right away on real cold mornings.

a small piece of advice. if you are using the XM micro antenna, I would sirriusly (ha!) think about using some silicone to seal the bottom and where the wire goes into the antenna. I have had some recent trouble with mine due to heavy rain, and have found others on the web with the same problem.

everyone may not have this problem, but doing it now is a lot easier than having to rewire a new antenna if your shorts out.

My Sirius setup should be here by Friday for my Sirius-Ready head unit. Just plug into the cd changer, run some rca's, and I'll be good to go.

Yeah, I've GOT to get mine hard-wired. BTW, Quinn is on XM now, channel 165 from 6 to 9 AM EST. He's great.

i have the fm modulator and it sounds better than FM quality, but not quite CD quality. nevertheless, it's still pretty damn good in my opinion. i dont know about the aux input but it wasnt an option for me. but whatever. xm radio is the way to go, i think.

The FM Modulator setup is the worst for either XM or Sirius units. Think about it...you are trying to receive two different signals...a satellite signal and a FM signal. If either is weak, you are likely to get poor quality. I started with the FM Modulator and quickly went to the cassette approach. This worked for a bit but the ST beat the crap out of those cheap plastic gears and the tape deck kept spitting out the tape. I spent the $75 from crutchfield to purchase the hardwire capability and have fantastic sound quality.

I wasn't happy with sound quality with either cassette adapter, fm transmitters, or fm modulators. Didn't want to fork out the $$ for a head unit with RCA inputs, so I dumped XM completely.

Latest posts