XM Radio

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gerald Pierce

Reaction score
I am looking at getting Sat radio, but am torn on loosing the dual controls with my factory radio.

If you have a Sat Radio that uses the fm mode to broadcast through the car stereo, i am interested in knowing if it sounds acceptable. I understand this is a personal opinion... but i trust you guys. Keep in mind my hearing is terrible anyways (to many years working in loud spaces) so I am definately not an audiophile...

I have also been looking at replacing the head unit with a JVC HD radio/with the Sat radio that connects directly, but I am not sure about spending 400.00 when I can get the other type for about 50.00 after rebate from Crutchfield.

Cost really isn't the issue, I am just tight with it, and if I can get something that puts out acceptable sound, I hate to spend the extra when I honestly may not notice the difference...

Regardless of unit, I am also replacing the OEM speakers.... the OEMs i am sure are shot... :)

I use the Roady II (XM) in my '02 ST. It's fed through the cassette deck in the radio. Even with the OEM speakers, it still sounds GREAT! If you are going to replace the head unit, there are several out there that will work quite well. Once you go satellite radio, you won't go back!

gary, my son has XM, that is why I was looking at them, but am open to either one. I have only driven his truck a few times, but liked what I heard. Is the music selection better?

I really only listen to music, but comedy would be nice also.

Open for suggestions.... i can't sample out here at sea since we have very limited bandwidth.

gp

I used the Fm modulator and it works well. Especially since I don't have the cassette ability on my 01 Trac. I then ran the wires behind the console so it is more difficult to see. It has been that way since 04 when I got the setup.

Have a good one

Bob[Broken External Image]:

Save yourself the hassle just get one of the Sirius plug and play units. They transmit through the head unit on either a preset station, or one that you can choose. Besides, Sirius has a better selection.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are looking to use the AUX function of your Factory Head unit I have a deal for you...

I have the DPX - Part # FRDN-AUX

This will plug into your Factory Radio and you can use the AUX option..

Also I have a Roady2 but its just the radio you would nee to get the Antenna for it.

Make me an offer and its yours.

Chris, not sure what the aux unit does for me... is it a SAT rcvr that is controlled by the head unit or is it an adapter for connecting a unit like the roady 2?

I have the OEM head unit with dual controls (01 model)...

Chris, will your adapter allow me to use the AUX function on my '07 audiophile factory unit? I have been searching all over for one that will work for the '07--and would LOVE to have one.

The Aux unit I have just came out of my 2004 Trac. Basically allowed me to use the CD Changer input... So I would press the CD button twice first time you press it I would get the CD player... Second press I got my XM Radio (Which was the Roady2)

Reason its available is I just put in a Pioneer AVIC-D1 Nav unit that thas XM RADIO in it.

The Part # is listed above... if you want to find out if it will work for the newer radios.

Let me know.

Whit

I used the radio modulation on my Roady II. The sound quality was OK. I had the stock radio setup, so even regular radio didn't sound very good. There wasn't much of a difference. The only thing I didn't like, is when I traveled from city to city, I would have to switch the broadcast channels, because some cities would have a strong signal from a local station that would block out the Roady.

If you are an audio nut, go with an entirely new head unit and speakers. You will notice a huge difference. The stock sound system in my Mazda 3 has far superior sound quality. Heck, even my Toyota ECHO had a better sound system.

Heck, even my Toyota ECHO had a better sound system.

The Echo I drove (to the bank when I was visiting the dealer to say hello and wanted to see how big of a POS it really was) you could not hear the radio over the rattles and squeaks.

The Echo had 50,000 miles on it.

Tom

gerald,

i have both xm and sirius. the sirius was an option i ordered on my 07 and so far i feel the music is much better on it. they offer more choices and my fav's are first wave, the vault , classic rewind. i only keep the xm for opie & anthony and the great deal they gave me for 6.50 per month. the music is good on xm. but as mentioned, i think the sirius is better.

as far as sound quality, of course the sirius is better because it was a factory install. my xm is the bottom of the line roady unit that i use the fm mod for reception. there are better xm units out there that sound great. it's more of a preference as to what you are looking for. it might not matter soon as both have agreed to a merge awaiting gov't approval. good luck

btw, how are thing in the sunshine state when you are not at sea? we have a house ih hernado and cant wait to get down there. :)

tom,

it sounds like you have something against toyota :lol:

did you put a disguise on when you drove the echo? :lol:

Gary, not sure about FL.... been gone for 12 of the last 16 months :) Actually, I love jacksonville, we have spent about 10 years here out of my 25 in the Navy.

Wife and kids (all grown) live in VA since I am never here anyways. Looking forward to coming home in less than 2 weeks and taking some leave so I can mod the trac... i mean see the family ;)

I think I am going to go ahead and get the HD head unit and add the SAT rcvr when I install it. I guess i need to go ahead and order it.... think I'll go wth the Sirius after looking at the channel listing.

Thanks all for the advice.....

gerald,

my neice lives in jax with her hubby thats in the navy as well ( they are having problems, no comment ). fla is where we want to move eventually, as we have always loved the sunshine state :D

i think you made a good choice based on the music selection, but remember , xm202 O&A :cool:

great to hear that you are coming home real soon to enjoy with your family.

THANKS FOR SUPPORTING OUR COUNTRY, BE SAFE :)

My car has Sirius, wife has XM (came with car). I prefer the music on Sirius, but that's purely a personal preference thing. The no commercials on music channels is a definite plus for sirius though. Don't use the over air FM modulator, sounds horrible! Circuit City sells a splitter for the antenna so you get a direct input to the stereo. You still use the FM modulator, but it is a direct connection and it automatically blanks the antenna so there is no static/signal from other stations. It only cost $20, or something like that.

I have XM and just use the modulator (no hard wire). I think the sound quality is better than AM but not as good as a strong FM station.

The sound I had when it was wired was Great.

I love my XM and will never give it up!

XM49 and XM202 hands down great channels!

FRRRRRRRRRRRRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMKKKKKISSSSSSS

Whit

Latest posts