XM Radio posts bigger loss than expected; Director quits

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I doubt it. Neither Sirius or XM is actually making money. XM says they plan to make money by the end of the year. I see satellite radio being the equivalent to cable. A few jump on in the beginning but a couple of years down the road, it will be the norm. I've had XM for over a year now and can't stand the thought of commercial radio. It's just terrible with all the commercials and mediocre DJ's. Plus, you only get about a few decent terrestrial radio channels to over 200 (at least 10-20 good channels) on satellite; regardless of whether you want XM or Sirius. Let's not forget the big names that have came to satellite radio, Marth Stewart, "I invented everything" Howard Stern, Opie and Anthony, Oprah. Give it some time. It will come around.

Oh...and Sirius posts their quarterly results tomorrow. They had better be good because if they didnt' with all the Stern hype...they will get trashed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who listens to OTA radio? I burn my own CD's. I tried XM about 2 years ago. Had it for a year, gave up. I found the content lacking and I was only listening to about 3 channels they had available.

I don't care one way or the other. I listen to my MP3 player in my ST, which doesn't require a subscription. I never liked Stern because he always had guests that required some visual element to appreciate;) - XM didn't cure that.

FYI - Factory-installed SDARS is an option on the 07 ST.

(I'm leading implementation on another program.)

Love ya Yanks & Rebels,

- R

:cool:

you can't listen to talk radio or live sporting eventson an MP3 (unless you find a way to download and then upload to your player). I think that's one huge attraction to satellite over MP3's, iPod's, etc. I can listen to almost every sigle baseball game, college football, hockey game and with sirius, you get football, as well.

Oh yeah....there is something in the works for Audio Input Jack (AUX) too...for you MP3-lovers.

R

you can't listen to talk radio or live sporting eventson an MP3

I fail to see the problem here. I don't care for talk radio and don't believe in listening to sports on the radio (I either see it in person, or watch it on television).

To each his/her own. In the end, paying for something that I don't really need doesn't make sense to me. I use that money for Netflix.

Very good point, eledhel. And like you said...to each his/her own. I just think there is a big market for those that what more than their MP3's/iPod/CDs. In fact, there are almost 10 million out there who believe this to be the case in just over a year. Believe me, I'd much rather watch sports than listen (who wouldn't) but there are times when I'm in the ST and it's a nice option at a relatively cheap price.

I have XM in the Trac and Sirius in the SVT Focus, which I just cancelled because I don't drive the car that much as it's becoming more and more of a Track Car. I like XM better and the live sports and comedy channel are great. I have lots of MP3's as well and still listen to XM more. I refuse to listed to local stations. The commercials and DJ's are a waste.

I spent my $13 a month on World of Warcraft instead of XM now lol

And R: thanks for introducing things to factory head units that Aftermarket units have had for YEARS.

I got XM from my daughter as a birthday present last year. It's one of the best gifts I've ever gotten. I drive truck at night and it sure is nice not to have to fiddle with finding a new station every couple of hours. Plus, even though I would rather be watching baseball games, now I can listen to the games without interruption, not like crappy AM radio. I also listen to the news shows a lot. Bill O'Reilly, Hannity & Colmes, CNN nad the like. I love it!!:D

No talk radio on XM? They have one channel devoted to Leftists and one for those of us who are correct :) There are also other news and talk channels like ABC News, Fox news Channel, etc. etc.

19gator: I can see why XM would be great for a truck driver. For someone like me that spends around 30-45 mins a day in my car, it was a waste of money.

I've had Sirius in both the Trac & STS & never listen to commercial radio anymore. Granted I only listen to maybe 6 stations but the bill is so insignificant I think it's a great deal. I also gave XM to my 3 kids & they like it & use it a lot. They have iPods & the gear to use it in their cars but they still get a lot of use out of the XM.

Latest posts