XCal2 and factory programs

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlipTrac_511

Reaction score
My XCal2 was programmed by WFoy a long time ago (obviously to some). If my PCM tune was updated by the dealership recently and I decided to use my XCal tune again, does the XCal save the new factory program or does it have the undesired ability to reinstall the original, older one? In other words, will the XCal somehow overwrite a new stock tune with an older one?

In order to use your Xcal with your newly reprogramed PCM, you would have needed to have put the stock tune back on your ST prior to taking it in for the PCM reflash. I am not positive, however I think you will need to have your Xcal unlocked now, and then a new program can be written onto it. Either way you need new tunes on the Xcal as it will view your ST as a different vehicle than it was before because it will have a different program on the PCM.

I recommend Doug at Bamachips for your tune needs. I used him whe I got my Xcal from Wayne. In fact he just redid my tunes (at no cost) when I took my '07 in the have the PCM reflashed with the recent TSB. There is an issue with the program, but he is troubleshooting it with SCT to see what the problem is.

The Xcal is VIN locked, NOT computer code locked.....

YOU simply need to know what the code the dealer re flashed your truck to and then you can get a new tune, BUT if you did not flash it back to stock, there IS NO WAY of saving the new calibration the dealer installed....

Todd Z

I think that is the problem I was having. I had to go to the dealer. They "fixed" my trac, after I had reflashed it I went back to stock & bought differnt tunes from Unleashed tuning, & it ran very poorly with the stock tune. I think they changed the factory tune & didn't tell me. It's ok, I didn't tell them I was using the Xcal2 either. Now, that I have the new tunes for Mr. Torrie I won't be going back to stock. This thing runs like a scalded cat now. Never ran better, even the day I bought it. If anyone out there still have the Wayne Foy tunes, I say get these, it's lightyears ahead. I couldn't use Bamachips, because I wanted e85 tune & he doesn't have them, so I don't know if their like Unleashed's or not. If Bamachips is as good as Unleashed, then you'll be much happier with either of their tunes than you are now. I know for sure that'll be the case with Unleashed. It's incrediable.

Doug told me I had to unlock my tuner before I could put on the new tune using the live load software. Something about different DTC codes or something. He also told me that each tuner can only be unlocked 5 times?? Not sure on what number mine is on, as It was used and abused by Wayne Foy by the time I got it...

Just to clarify, I always flash back to stock whenever I go to the dealership. The question is, if the dealership replaced the original with a newer program, does my XCal2 save this newer program or does it somehow still remember to use the original one if I want to go back to a factory tune?

Trac,

IF you flash back to stock, it will download the new dealer tune...

Todd Z

Trac_511,,What was it about your PCM, that the dealer had to flash or upgrade??

I have an '04 xlt prm also..

'Eddie, the shifting and acceleration was noticeably different after one of my visits to the dealership. It wasn't just the firmer shifts associated with disconnecting the battery either (the ride just seemed better even after the adaptive computer had logged enough miles to relearn). A PCM update has never been requested by me, documented by the dealership, or even mentioned to me, so I am merely speculating.

I've paid very close attention to my Trac over the course of ~45K miles and the improved performance just had me wondering what had been done, thus my speculation and my question in this post.

Latest posts