X Box 360 Question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bud Williams

Reaction score
Can an X Box 360 be hooked up wirelessly without shelling out $100 for the X Box wireless G adapter?

Went to Micro Center today and they told me that the X Box wireless adapter drivers are already loaded and designed to work with the X Box Wireless adapter.

I've seen wireless adapters for as low as 20 bucks, will any wireless adapter work?

Thanks,

Bud

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope the only other option you have is a wireless gaming adapter, which is basically a wireless bridge. But I think they run 50-70 and will be much more of a pain to configure. I would just buy the x-box one.

what jd said

i had a seperate cable modem installed and just got a splitter next to the tv and ran it straight through

If you have a laptop with a wireless adapter on it you can share the network connection and plug a cat5 cable from your laptop to your xbox.

Start with the XBox off and connect the cable from your laptop network jack to the network jack on your xbox.

Make sure you are logged in to your laptop as an Administrator and go to the control panel. You can click start, run, and type control to get to the control panel.

Double click on Network Connections then click the Advanced tab

Check "allow other network users to connect through this computers internet connection"

Click "OK"

Now turn on your XBox and you should be able to connect to XBox Live.

If you reboot your laptop later you may have to redo the network settings described above.

Hope this helps.

It's worth the hassle to get a cat5 to your Xbox, it's cheaper than the wireless adapter, more secure, and better connection. My son already had a hardwire connection in his room for his PC so I just through an old hub on his desk and run the PC and the xbox off of the one room connection..

HTH...

Mark

i've read that you can use a wireless access port.. i have a $30 wireless access port comming from newegg.com tomorrow and i will confirm if it can be done. basicly once you program the wireless port and add it to your network it works just like a router and it should work. also i have read on neweggs website it has been done ny numerous people.

troy

It will work it the Access Point has a bridge mode which some do and some don't. For most people not used to setting up network equipment it will take a lot longer to setup than the x-box adapter though, so you have to decide your time vs money.

I got the original xbox wireless adapter MN-740 and it works on our 360. You can still find them around if you look for it. It is cheaper than the current version.

It will work it the Access Point has a bridge mode which some do and some don't.

Exactly.

Your access point will need to support WDS. As JDBoxes stated this is a mode to bridge your AP to your wireless router.

If your new AP doesn't support this feature you can check on the DD-WRT site and see if your AP is supported by their free replacement firmware.

<a href="http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices" target=new>Supported Devices</a>

If so, take a look and make sure their version of the firmware supports WDS for that AP or router before downloading and applying it.

DD-WRT is simply a linux distribution of firmware for wireless devices that takes full advantage of the capabilities of the device. Don't let Linux scare you though. It will still have a GUI that you can log into just like a linksys or dlink, etc...

got the $30 super g wirless access port from newegg. it was the Encore ENRXWI-SG. (it a wireless lan extender/access port). free shipping as well.. directions not that good. i've set up quite a few wireless networks so i was probally a little better off than most. no written directions, manual is on the included CD. you have to change the tcip setting on your computer to access the set up. setup uses internet explorer. i set it up as a wireless access client using my laptop. plugged it into the xbox and all is GREAT. Xbox live is superfast. 108G you don't get that from the $99 microsoft adapter.

troy

looks like newegg raised the price $5 today.. its $35 shipped..

Latest posts