WOW! This guy ought to run for President !!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard L

Reaction score
Controller halts pay for California lawmakers

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) California's controller took the rare step Tuesday of halting paychecks for all 120 state lawmakers after he determined they failed to meet a voter-approved requirement aimed at getting the Legislature to approve balanced budgets on time.

Controller John Chiang said he reviewed the budget approved last week by Democrats on a simple majority vote and determined it was not balanced. Chiang, a Democrat, said lawmakers therefore did not meet the requirement for getting paid under Proposition 25, which voters approved in November.

Lawmakers can start receiving their salaries and expenses again once they pass a balanced budget. They will not be retroactively paid for the days the budget was late.

The decision sparked sharp criticism from lawmakers and could be challenged in court. Assemblyman Mike Gatto, D-Los Angeles, said Chiang decided to withhold pay for political reasons.

"I halted a fulfilling private sector career path to enter public service. I now have to explain to my wife and daughter that we won't be able to pay the bills because a politician chose to grandstand at our expense," Gatto said.

Under Proposition 25, lawmakers don't get their salary or living expenses if they miss their budget deadline of June 15 each year. The measure gives the state controller the authority to judge whether revenues matched or exceeded state spending.

Proposition 25, the "on-time budget act," was born out of frustration with California's late budgets, which stall pay for some state workers and vendors.

Chiang's decision marks the first time the unique initiative has been put to use.

Few other states have late budget problems, according to Arturo Perez of the National Conference of State Legislatures in Denver. Only New York and Guam withhold pay from lawmakers if they fail to meet their budget deadline, he said.

California's measure is different because lawmakers don't get retroactive pay, Perez said.

"The issue of late budgets is alien to most states," he said.

Each day, California taxpayers save $48,603.50 by not paying lawmakers a salary and per diem. For lawmakers who earn $95,291 a year, that works out to $261 less for each day their salary is cut. For leaders of the Senate and Assembly who make $109,584, that works out to $300 per day.

Most lawmakers also lose out on a $142 per diem for travel and living expenses.

Chiang, whose office issues paychecks, found the Democratic package did not meet the constitutional requirements for a balanced budget. He said it committed the state to $89.8 billion in spending but provided only $87.9 billion in revenues, leaving a hole of $1.85 billion.

"My office's careful review of the recently passed budget found components that were miscalculated, miscounted or unfinished," Chiang said in a statement. "The numbers simply did not add up, and the Legislature will forfeit their pay until a balanced budget is sent to the governor."

Chiang's analysis found much of the imbalance comes from underfunding education by $1.3 billion. Underfunding is not possible without suspending the state's education funding law, which would require a two-thirds vote of the Legislature. That was not done in this case.

The Democrats' budget also counted on hospital fees, taxes on managed-care plans and vehicle registration charges, but the Legislature never passed the bills needed to collect those revenues, Chiang said.

Lawmakers said they believed that action allowed them to continue receiving paychecks. But Gov. Jerry Brown vetoed the package, saying he didn't want to see billions more in borrowing or questionable maneuvers.

"The Controller has made his determination. We should all work together to pass a solid budget," Brown said.

Democratic lawmakers said they were disappointed by the controller's decision. They said Chiang's decision would not help budget negotiations with Republicans.

"The controller is, in effect, allowing legislative Republicans to control the budget process and I believe that's a very unfortunate outcome that is inconsistent with the intent of Proposition 25," Assembly Speaker John Perez said in a statement.

Currently the controller's office is sitting on one week's worth of per diem checks. The Senate is claiming about $40,000 owed to 37 senators, according to a copy of the claim released by the Senate. The Assembly has not released its claim for last week.

The leader of the Senate had warned Monday that for Chiang to decide whether lawmakers passed a balanced budget sets a bad example for the state's balance of power.

"I think it is a bad precedent ... for anybody in the executive branch to question the quality of a budget passed by the Legislature. Because to do so shifts the balance of powers in what is supposed to be coequal branches of government in a way that I think is dangerous," Senate President Pro Tem Darrell Steinberg said.

Brown has signed into law about $11.2 billion in cuts and fund transfers, but the state still faces a $9.6 billion budget deficit through July 2012. He and Democratic leaders want to extend a series of recent tax hikes to help close the shortfall but so far have been unable to get GOP support for that plan.

Two Republican votes in each house are needed to meet the two-thirds vote threshold for higher taxes or to place the question before voters.

The state's fiscal year starts July 1.

Unbalanced budget passed by Dems.

Chiang, the controller is a Dem withholds their pay per the recently passed proposition.

Dems are complaining he is doing it for political reasons.

:boohoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
The Dems budget was a fraud as it included tax increases, which required a 2/3 vote, which they fell short of as well as revenue sources that were never going to be realized, such as sale of public buildings which the governor opposed. The only reason this sham budget was passed was so that the legislatures wouldn't lose out on their pay by not passing a budget on time. The controller showed some balls, as well as integrity, by holding up their pay and their $142 per diem for each day that they are in session.

Bravo! A public servant serving the public interest. Imagine that!

The leader of the Senate had warned Monday that for Chiang to decide whether lawmakers passed a balanced budget sets a bad example for the state's balance of power.

ROFL! If the Comptroller of California, an accountant--the State's accountant--by another name, is not supposed to determine whether or not a budget is balanced, then who is?

"I halted a fulfilling private sector career path to enter public service. I now have to explain to my wife and daughter that we won't be able to pay the bills because a politician chose to grandstand at our expense," Gatto said.
Wow, an Assemblyman living paycheck to paycheck?! What kind of example does that set? Also, you are NOT supposed to give up your job to enter local politics. Politics was never meant to be a career in America. :banghead: :banghead:

Long has it been said that "those who have the gold make the rules". The Comptroller has some serious "gold", and he's showing restraint here--he has 'em by the balls but instead of making the rules, he's merely enforcing those that already exist.

I agree, this sounds like a public servant actually serving the public. In California no less. If this is as true as it appears, color me amazed.

Wow, an Assemblyman living paycheck to paycheck?! What kind of example does that set? Also, you are NOT supposed to give up your job to enter local politics. Politics was never meant to be a career in America

KL- This clown is my assemblyman but I didn't vote for him. I emailed him about this yesterday and did chastise him about living paycheck to paycheck. His comment about having to explain to his wife and kid about not being able to pay the bills is another typical political propaganda as his daugher is only a year old. I don't think that he will have to worry about explaining it to her.

BOO HOO, that they're missing some paycheck's. They're making 2-3X the amount of state workers that mis paychecks if they don't do their work on time. I know a few years ago in MN people were complaining some of these lawmakers are getting paid overtime for balancing the budget which should've been done under normal pay. If you can't get your job done in a timely fashion year after year, you should be fired.

Too everyone who responded !!

:supercool:

I agree with you 100% and congratulate the California Controller to have the balls to take action....It is not a political manuvuer, it's upholding the laws and regulations of California. I just hope the Controller does not get fired for doing his job! Even the Governor Jerry Brown agrees that the Controller is doing his job.

I would also like to see a similar balanced budget law for the entire USA. No balanced budget, and the US Congress and US Senate do not get paid !!! NO Extentions, and NO Exceptions :supercool:

...Rich

Excellent! :haveabeer:

Just some quick math.

Each day, California taxpayers save $48,603.50 by not paying lawmakers a salary and per diem. For lawmakers who earn $95,291 a year, that works out to $261 less for each day their salary is cut. For leaders of the Senate and Assembly who make $109,584, that works out to $300 per day.

That is assuming they are paid for each day of the year (95,290/365=261). I don't know about you, but I get paid (salary) based on a work week not including Sat/Sun. That means they should be docked $366 (95,290/260=366) - not $261 for every day late. $421 instead of $300 per day for leaders of the Senate and Assembly.

Rounding to an estimated 30% error on these numbers, that means taxpayers are saving another $14,500 a day (est.)

It adds up!

Last edited by a moderator:
If I understand this, the representatives have forfeited their pay, and even if they were to pass a balanced budget right now, they would not get "backpay". The money in the paychecks that the Comptroller is "sitting on" (figuratively or semi-literally) is never going to those representatives who have failed to obey their own laws.

So now, what happens to that money?

KL,

I suspect that the money goes back into the the State coffers, and if the representatives continue to delay the passing of a balanced budget long enough, they will have forfeited enough of their salaries to eventually balance the budget...:grin: Now that's the self-sacraficing American spirit I expect to see from our elected officials :bwahaha:

....Rich

Rich,

That's my understanding also. The pay is forfeited. Once they pass a budget they will not be able to receive retroactive pay. The forfeited pay goes into the general fund.