World's smallest cars hope to gain popularity

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
World's Smallest Cars

by Chi-Chu Tschang and Hiroko Tashiro

Friday, February 6, 2009

The plunge in oil prices since their highs last July may have relieved some of the anxiety drivers feel when pulling up to the gas pump, but auto makers are still betting on consumers favoring more fuel efficient cars. After all, it wasn't just high oil prices that were sending car buyers to small cars. Several progressive governments, including Australia, Canada and China, have come out with policies to encourage their citizens to buy gas sippers.

Auto makers have responded by coming out with mini cars that can squeeze in the tightest parking spots. Some have brought back classics such as the BMW Isetta, Fiat 500, and Mini Cooper, albeit more fuel efficient versions. Others are planning to come out hybrids or electric vehicles this year or next year. Many multinational car manufacturers are selling these small, fuel efficient cars abroad, particularly emerging markets where locals earn less money yet want cleaner cars. At the same time, auto companies from China and India are also entering the game and coming out with their small cars with hopes of eventually exporting their cars overseas. Heres a look at some of the worlds smallest autos.

Audi first unveiled this super mini luxury car at the 2007 Tokyo Motor Show as the Audi metroproject Quattro concept car. The hybrid car combines a 1.4 TFSI gas engine with a 27 horsepower electric motor that can go from 0 to 62 miles per hour in 7.9 seconds. Production and sales of the A1 is expected to begin this year.

BMW came out with the original Isetta 1953, after World War II, to meet the need for cheap, short-distance transportation in Europe. The bubble car was sold in Spain, Belgium, France, Germany, Britain, and Brazil. BMW is now bringing back the new Isetta in the form of an electric car, which should arrive in American showrooms in 2012, to help meet California's zero emissions vehicle legislation.

Battery manufacturer-turned electric car maker BYD spent five years developing the F0 mini compact car. In September 2008, BYD started selling the 1.0 liter gasoline engine F0 starting at $5398. The car was originally called the F1 but changed to F0 to avoid copyright violations with the Formula 1 racing league.

For the rest of the story . . .

We have a lot of these cars in Poland, just not electric versions. The Fiat 500 mentioned in the article is known in Europe as the CinqueCento (500 in Italian). They are usually diesel, and I see them zipping all over the city. The Fiat Panda is also pretty nice and a little larger. Of course we have SMART cars and a few Mini Coopers here. One car I would consider buying is the Nissan Micra. It looks a little like a VW New Bug, but I think the styling is a little nicer. Suzuki also has some nice small cars. The Swift looks nice and gets around 60 mpg. My Suzuki Wagon R+ is ugly as sin, but it is roomy and gets 50 mpg and has good acceleration from a supercharged 1.3 L engine.

Get used to it. I think these small cars will become more and more common in the US. The economy is going to be bad for a long time (my guess is at least 5 years and it will get much worse than now), and without decent mass-transit systems people need to find a cheap way to get around.

The thought of Fiats driving around the US (or sitting on the roadside broken) again makes me shudder a bit. I guess it would stimulate the economy by providing employment to mechanics named Tony, though (FIAT=Fix It Again Tony). :D

I on the interstate 1000 + miles a week and am seeing more & more of these Smart cars ............. usually haulin' butt ! Those are some brave folks, fighting 18 wheelers for the hammer lane. Those things aren't much bigger than the grille emblems on some of those big rigs!! A local grocery getter ...... OK ....... an interstate commuter ....... hello no!

Yeah, SKRX. The advice here in Europe is to never buy and "F" car (French, Fiat or Ford). I can't tell you how many times I heard that when I was shopping for my car.

The occupants would be reduced to a grease spot on the pavement in an accident. What a stupid car.

BTW: My first wife brought a Fiat X-1/9 into our marriage. The car was a blast to drive- about made the deal worth it.

BTW: My first wife brought a Fiat X-1/9 into our marriage. The car was a blast to drive- about made the deal worth it.

LOL ! ! My wife came with a Chevette.:( She's still here ........ the Chevette left in a hurry!:D

have seen a utube video of the smart car in a designed crash, the cage held up very well, believe the doors still opened easily, so the little cars are safe, but playing chicken with 18 wheelers is still not smart, not matter what you drive

Latest posts