Workshops are not trustable

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

High Octane

Reaction score
I just wan to stop by to let you know the end of my case.

After I had the problem with my brakes I took it to the Tire Kingdom close to my office,

They said I need new shoes and pads and that will cost me 190.00 plus taxes.

I told them to put the tires back and I drove home slow and carefully, Friday I rode my motorcycle to work, and Saturday I was able to buy the shoes to do the work by my self.

I was kind of skeptic because I haven’t done drums for a long time, but I want to do it by my self, 200.00 invoiced in tire kingdom vs. 56.00 with tax for shoes is not even worth to think twice.

So I got my brake shoes and some brake cleaner, and I remove tires and drums, I was first surprised and then upset, the shoes still have half life on braking surface and the only problem was tons of dirt all over, it was so dirty that the adjuster could not move.

So I end up getting two more cans of brake cleaner and making a very deep clean, I even remove the shoes to check it for thread life and wash everything with pressure cleaner,

After the deep clean everything moves again, even auto-adjust it self backing up.

I am glad I decide to do my brakes, it only cost me 3 cans of brake cleaner and a few hours, :D

Thanks a lot for your support,

Sweet Job, glad you figured it out. They prolly just called about how much the brakes would be, then have a spec sheet for how much it is to do the job. Sounds like they didn't really even check to see if you needed brakes.

Workshops are trustworthy, its just a matter of finding a good shop.

Sometimes, the quoted cost of a job is a worst-case quote, about the maximum you can expect to pay. With somethings, it is difficult or impossible to determine what exactly needs to be done without a partial tear down, which costs money.

Its good that the job ended up costing a lot less then originally though, but don't write off reputable repair shops based on one high quote.

Shop rate? It's about $80 an hour here. You spent a few hours of time. Just because it was worth it to you, doesn't mean it's not worth it to someone. They still have to buy parts from a parts store, and make some money there, and then install. Figure a 1 hour job, and $190 doesn't seem to bad for parts and labor. It wouldn't be worth it to me, but it might be worth it to someone who doesn't want to or doesn't have the time to do it themselves.

I just had to put new brakes on the front of my trac, and the cost to have it done was about $185. I don't know if the back should be about the same or not i have never had to replace any shoes for the drum brakes.

Just my two cents worth.

It's a shops job to make money off of people that have no clue how to check pads and or replace them. Shop rate in Seattle Area 80-95.00 depending on the shop of course.

This is the why I do my own brakes, in less than an hour.

Latest posts