Word of advise about keys

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaRue Medlin

Reaction score
If you buy a new or used car from a dealer,,, DEMAND 2 keys! All vehicles come with 2 keys, why should you have to suffer from them buying wholesale or trade with 1 key. Or at least give you the second set at their cost. You have nothing to loose by trying.;)

They told me that they had to look for it when I bought my van. they called me to come get it and it was the wrong key. It really helped taking my 4 children with me when I bought it but I was ready to get out of there. When I get back home in a couple of weeks I WILL have another key. Thanks

I just got off the phone with the guy that sold me the van and he said all I needed was the vin number and bring the van in to get it programed. He said at his cost of $40. Does that sound right?

When I bought my ST the dealer gave me 5 keys and two fobs for it. Only one of the fobs was programmed and two of the keys. Luckily, two of the keys WERE programmed. lol

Very good advise! Since you're buying @ retail from the dealer, you're almost always paying more than a private sale. I've gotten taken at trade-in time too, and the dealer should have some motivation to give you a second key (they can do this cheaper than you can if you ask later).

I only got one key, but I got the truck at an auction. 3k miles with $13k off. I was happy to pay the $60 for a second key.

Latest posts