Woofer Advice

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A1cntrler

Reaction score
Not having to do with the Sport Trac, but Ford... Anyways

I have a car that I am restoring back to stock, to include the original audio system. It is a 1990 Anniversary edition Thunderbird SC. This car came with the premimum JBL sound system, to include a subwoofer in a box in the trunk. The original speaker (paper cone and foam surround) has seen better days (i.e. no longer works) I need to keep the original sub box, but am not opposed to opening it up and putting in a new woofer. It will hold a 6.5" woofer. The amp is rated at 75w/6ohms. The closest replacement I can find is a JL 6w0 speaker, but it is available in 4 ohms or 8 ohms... Which one do I need to get. I am illeterate when it comes to ohms...

Airspace for the factory box works out to be about .27 or so I am told..

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Somehow I figured you would be the first to respond... The only specs I can get from the factory amp is that it is 75watts and put out 6 ohms. Why would the 4 be better?? What would happen with the 8ohm speaker on it??

Oh it's it's 75 @ 6 then you might need to run the 8. If you run a sub with lower impedance you will more than likely overheat the amp as it will be working too hard. It will however be putting out more power.

Latest posts